1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tune - why is it looked down on?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by EatADeadGoat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Strange, indeed.

2. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    My reply was not to this post. That's all I'm sayin'...

3. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    so you're saying this riff is easier to play in drop tuning and near impossible in standard?

i'm still not convinced you could play ANY metal riff, regardless of tuning. I doubt any player on earth could do that.

try learning 46 & 2 by tool. it's a very easy riff, but it centres around an open D in 2 octaves. I'm not doubting that you could play it on a 5ey, but it would sound very stilted as you don't have the open D ringing out.

4. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am curious, so I must ask. Could one take a 5-string bass, and change the Low B string for an E string, and then drop tune it to D. Then, the rest of your bass is still standard, and you don't have to retune. You end up with low E and D.

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I suppose you could, but why would you? A 5-string with an interval of a major second between strings doesn't seem to offer much in the way of advantages compared to a five-string in standard tuning or a 4-string in a drop-D tuning.

6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    There actually is an instrument with that type of tuning. It's called a "cumbus".

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    That way you have that Open D and Open E. Having an Open D seemed to be one of the points of drop tuning, yes?

8. BassNoob1

BassNoob1

Dec 18, 2010
    I don't like it because anything below E just sounds bad, even on a five-string bass. It's just too low and even sounds dramatically sharp for some reason.

9. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    That may just be a set-up issue. Make sure the intonation is adjusted properly at the saddle. Also, if the nut on your bass is cut too high, it will cause notes fretted on the first fret to be sharp.

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I did play through it, both with and without the capo. Though I don't necessarily need to play through it to understand from looking at the music how playable it is.

11. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    No opinion on this really, I'd love to be able to get everything I want out of standard, and maybe that would make me a better bassist... One thing I can say is I'm going off drop D for writing bass and guitar lines actually, I prefer standard or drop C.

12. i dont see how people would look down on different note patterns

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh, it shouldn't surprise you too much. It is the same reason why some people hate solid state and pontificate about tubes. Or how it is only a real bass if it is a Fender P. Or preferring Pragu over Ragu.

Some people just stick to their opinions more vigorously than others.

14. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I can't speak for other people, but as far as I am concerned...learning ANY skill requires a solid foundation in the basics.....and from what I have seen, there are a lot of young metal heads that can only play in drop tuning or altered tuning...you hand them a standard P-bass with flats and no distortion, and ask them to sit in with you and they are lost.

Also, as I said before...the whole playing down super low is getting to be more and more passe' every moment. Just like P-nut, flea and all the slap happy guys during the 90's..it gets a little tiresome after a while......

After a while, you start to really feel the gimmick factor in all of this.

15. After almost thirty pages, here's what I've learned(?):

1. Some music is easier to play if you tune your instrument to accommodate the song.
    2. Changing your tuning can extend the range of your instrument (YMMV).
    3. Changing your tuning can change timbre and the harmonic overtones produced by a note.
    4. Musicians often engage in goofy "culture wars."

I'll stick with with standard tuning for the most part and do that scary "transpose" thing, since I generally think in terms of "Roman Numerals" instead of "notes" or "frets", and I love the way chords and modes extend from the diatonic scale.

I can't wait till the fretless folks bring quarter tones and non-diatonic possibilities into this mix.:rollno:

16. WarPhalange

WarPhalange

Jan 20, 2009
    What are the "basics" again? Just so we're clear.

17. Is that a sincere question, just so I'm clear?

If it is I'll do my best, and I expect there are others here who can do even better.

That's why this forum is worth reading IMHO.

18. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I'll take the standard P, in standard tuning, with no distortion, but I would prefer rounds. Could ya fudge on your premise- just for me? It'll work just fine. I promise. Then we can do something dropped, also? It's really all the same notes, possibly with different timbre...maybe a little lower.

19. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    and i bet if you were handed an active warwick with brights and a big muff and i asked you to sit in, you would be lost.
    just because someone doesn't play the same genre as you doesn't mean they can't play. bass is bass.

i'm still yet to read an actual reason for you not liking drop tuning. all you've said so far is 'standard is better' or 'most people who drop tune are metal heads who like to do one finger powerchords'

20. WarPhalange

WarPhalange

Jan 20, 2009
    It is a very sincere question, but I'm not sure you can answer for him.