1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tune - why is it looked down on?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by EatADeadGoat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Traditional Basics, is what I believe is being asked about. The traditional basics one learns with a 4-string bass tuned EADG, which represents the vast majority of basses. With the idea of learning intervals, positions, etc.

If you have to ask what basics, it seems like you are trying to incite an argument.

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,

Did you bother to read where I said "They", not "You".....regardless, I would take your bet any day. Been playing bass for well over 30 years.

What, you think just because I prefer standard equipment means I have never seen, heard or touched an active bass or used effect pedals?

Here is a little clip from about 7 years ago, just jamming with a friend's alternative rock band. Active bass, rounds, distortion. Nothing too exciting, but you are wrong about me...and I have played rock before.

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    "...just because someone doesn't play the same genre as you doesn't mean they can't play..."

I would have to agree with this statement. Different genres, different skills. One is not a lesser bassist if they do not possess the skills to play every genre.

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I disagree. Fundamental skills and knowledge of theory transfer across many genres. A player with solid fundamentals and a good grasp of theory can adapt to just about any style. The converse is not true. A player who learns only enough to play a particular genre but does not develop solid fundamentals and learn at least basic theory will not have the skills necessary to make that transition.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Music Theory is not bass playing, though. Musicians across many instruments learn theory, they learn scales, modes, etc. Knowing the theory, does not infer the skill.

Some music styles require a certain different attitude, or thought, or feeling, to get the sound to be right. It is the difference of knowing the D major scale and playing a simple irish trad song, and then knowing where to add the lilts, the different things that make irish music different from the blues.

6. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    +1 Solid fundamentals make you more well rounded and a better general player. The argument is a "jack of all trades, master of none" on where the compromises are, but I think it's better to learn everything and get a taste, and then of course master the items that interest you the most.

7. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Note that I specifically (and intentionally) said "fundamental skills and knowledge of theory." The ability to play the instrument and the knowledge to understand what it is you are playing and how to communicate it to other musics are, IMHO, both necessary for a well-rounded musician.

8. Not everyone's goal is to be a well-rounded musician. My goal is to write, record, and play music and I'm doing it without much knowledge of theory and with drop/alternate tunings! :hyper:

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I give props to them thar metal bass players. Thems is some fast moving fingers, far faster and more string-changy than I could ever manage. I can do a mean bluegrass 1-5, though.

10. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    1. Been gone for a while, didn't expect a thread this long. My thanks to Febs and Kwin for properly answering my question.

2. @ everyone who argued. LOL. You made me laugh. Thanks for brightening my day. I didn't start the thread because of insecurity about metal vs other music, it was just about the stigmas that seem pointless. A lot of standard tuners lived up to their negative stigmas, and so did a lot of drop tuners. You guys also helped me understand the reason for all of this silliness.

As far as the current discussion: Music theory is great. Ever since I learned my little bit of it, I've gotten better as a musician. And learning from other styles and knowing many actually does make you a more skilled musician, in a way. Ryan Martinie couldn't have made Mudvayne as unique as it is without learning jazz and funk, with heavy doses of theory. Metallica probably would have been a lot more boring without Cliff adding his prog rock influences here and there with the standard metal of the day.

I dunno, really can't add any more. I do know that I like music that has more than one stylistic influence. I listen to some hardcore punk bands that happen to have surf-rock influenced guitar solos, just as an example. Or metal with jazz influences as another. It's a big melting pot.

EDIT: Oh, and for people who think I started this thread to bash standard tuners.....look at my screenname. Then look at capital letters. EatADeadGoat. EADG. Coincidence? You decide. ;P

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    lol @ oldies who are still n--bs

12. +1

13. WarPhalange

WarPhalange

Jan 20, 2009
    Why does it have to be a 4-string? Why does it have to be tuned EADG? Seems to me like you can learn about intervals, positions, chords, keys, etc., with whatever bass you want. If you read his post, you'll also see flat wounds explicitly mentioned. Why?

14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I dislike drop tuning because of the different string tension. Playing a 5 string makes it worse. Besides real bassplayers, don't drop tune, don't play majors, minors, or offcord root notes, and we never, never use a capo!!! Just kidding boys! I just prefer not to drop tune.

15. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I'm pleased that I could contribute! The discussion was......interesting......

16. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    *facepalm*

String size dude...

17. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    this isn't a personal attack dude. im just saying that if you were to try out for, say, a goth rock or death metal band, i'd say there's a pretty good chance you wouldn't get in.
    this is because of your sound / image and nothing about musicality.

i still don't get why you hate drop tuning so much, you haven't actually given a reason yet.
    i know what you mean about kids that just learn 1 finger powerchords and nothing else, but i'm talking about using drop tuning as an alternative to EADG tuning, in the same way anything other that EADG might work better for what you want to do.

if i'm shown a song that centres around an open D, why would i not drop tune? anything other than drop tuning would make the song more difficult.

18. hip63

hip63

Sep 14, 2010
    Ok, I read from page 1 to page 16 and then skipped to the end.

Now if you don't go for dropped or alternate tuning just because it's not part of your style or preference, hey, no problem, follow your heart.

But to slag someone for that reason and that reason alone is just wrong.

To those few total snobs that have shown up in the thread (you know who you are and so do we), I'd like to say that even Geddy Lee (GEDDY FREAKIN' LEE) has used drop D tunings (and I sure other alternate tuning) before. So I dare you to say some of that crap to his face! Go on tell'em that he doesn't know what he's doing or that he's a n00b, I freaking dare you.

THIS: \/
    Geddy Lee - "I am moved more by melodies, song structure, and evocative textures"

The sound you're after is all that should matter, the tone, the mood, the melody, that's all the matters in the end.

It is truly a case of "the end justifies the means". Whatever it takes to reach "musical nirvana" freaking do it!

Should dropped and alternate tunings be used a crutch?

Hell no but when used correctly and effectively, it can be another useful tool in your "tone toolbox"

In my band we used standard tunings most of the time but have hipshot xtenders and used dropped d for some songs. And we do it for the tone we get. Sure, we know how to play them in standard tuning but we like sound we get from the dropped d tuning.

I bring two basses to practice, a 5'er and a 4.

Sure I could just do the dropped d songs on a standard 5 tuning (and I occassionaly do when I'm too lazy to swap basses, lol) but I like the sound better for certain tunes on a dropped D 4 string.

Not mention, sometimes I still prefer a 4 string for some songs in standard tunings too, but that's just me. Hey, I'm 5 string owner/player who still like to play four strings too, so sue me, lol! (sorry I'll get back to the thread now) ;)

Point being, I use Dropped D when I want that sound.

Something with my picking style, I usually play finger style but there times that I use a pick because I want that sound.

So in short, who cares what the tuning are as long as there is magic coming from the speakers.

Let sound be your guide, F--k everything else. ROCK ON! \m/(><)\m/

hip63 :p

19. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    I like drop tuning coz of the octaved strings. There. I gave a valid reason, something no-one could do in 30 pages. I guess drop tuning wins.

/thread pls

20. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    And, on that same tangent, I would like to see someone play many Mudvayne songs in a standard tuning. Good examples would be Happy?, or Determined when Ryan uses his octave tapping in those songs. It is possible perhaps, I myself have tried. But it is way easier dropped, and sounds many, many times over better when played dropped. There is a place for dropped or alternate tunings, tuning higher, lower, who cares. Music is about expression, and if I need a low F# note to express myself Meshuggah style, then so be it!