1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dropping tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gonzilla, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Tab was a great tool to start out with, but I feel that I'm at a point where it's hindering me.

I have identified three sticking points that will take me to the next level-

* Being able to play positions on the bass without looking down at the fingerboard. This will end the practice of me constantly looking away from the sheet and losing my place. Losing my place in the song tends to take me off beat when I have to find my place again.

* Being able to, without thinking, know which notes are which on the fretboard without doing quick dirty math (ie: "Ok, this is A string... two frets down is B, plus one makes C")

* Being able to instantly recognize notes on the bass clef without thinking about it. I know the notes of the bass clef, but I'm not at the point where I can instantly recognize a note and hit the right place on the right string without thinking about it.

What are practices that I can do to facilitate nailing this down? I plan on practicing these points ten minutes per day after scales and before my lesson material.

2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    +1

Congrat !!!

Read anything you can...........from internet charts to little exemples in bass player mag, buy some Carol Kaye books, etc,.

Keep doing it every day for few weeks and you'll see a lot of improvement,

Good luck,

Sly

3. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Yeah, I figured that since I use sheet music for the time signature, key signatures and stuff, I may as well switch fully to reading bass clef. Making this learning experience fun is hard to do, though.

4. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

To get yourself more familiar with recognizing the notes on the bass clef, try taking a tab or a scale you already know and writing it on the bass clef.