1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer hated my bass...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GCPENG, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Canada
    ...but I only just found out why.

Several months ago, I joined a cover band working towards gigging. Early on, there was some minor drama around the drummer calling out the vocalist for not being prepared, which could have been resolved with no drama at all. Anyway, just before the drama, the drummer went on for a week or so about the sound of my bass, an Epiphone Thunderbird. He was having trouble hearing it, he said, and would call me with suggestions to improve things. Most of which involved a new bass. He would call me from the local guitar store and tell me about better basses that they had in stock, trying to get me to come out and check out these basses, and wanting me to trade mine in and upgrade. The next week, I brought my Fender Jazz. The drummer was much happier.

Last week, more drama. Drummer calls guitarist, complaining about the vocalist again. Drummer doesn't think vocalist is practicing. Doesn't think vocalist is serious. Wants guitar to get rid of vocalist. Guitar declines. First thing in the morning, drummer calls me, tells me his wife lost her job and he can't continue with the band. Okay.

Guitar, vocals and I get together over a beer for a band meeting. We find out about his conversation with guitarist. Good riddance, we figure. But at this meeting, I also find out from guitarist that the drummer's big problem with my bass was actually that it was....Made In Indonesia! Apparently he told guitarist..."How dare he show up in a band setting with an instrument made in Indonesia!"

(Joke's on him. Mine was Handcrafted In China!!)

Apparently, he figured that I didn't take this project seriously enough to show up with quality equipment - just some cheaply-made junk. Guitarist pointed out that the Epi SG that he practiced with was Korean. Now that I think about it, drummer often told the guitarist, "Hey, you should bring your (Gibson) Les Paul out to practice."

I guess the Fender logo on the headstock was enough to satisfy the drummer. He never did ask if it was MIM or MIA.

Look, if the sound of the Thunderbird wasn't cutting through the mix or pleasing to bandmates - I have no problem bringing something else. But I'd known it was the (economical) name on the headstock or the country of manufacture, I'd have told him to stuff it. Or brought my Squier Affinity.

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    You should have asked him to check where his drums were made.........:)

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Some people hear with their inflated & twisted sense of value.
    You're lucky to be rid of him!

4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    He's a drummer, what does he know about music? If my drummer started that with me I'd send him a link to the Beat Buddy; the only member that can be replaced by technology is the drummer. Granted, a Beat Buddy doesn't take up as much room, drink all of the beer and "warm up" as you're trying to have a conversation, but I'm actually OK with that.

5. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Canada
    You mean his electronic kit? Because he actually doesn't even own an acoustic kit at the moment.

6. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    And...you don't have to listen to Beat Buddy while you're trying to talk to the audience between songs!

Michael Schreiber, JRA and Spent like this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    80 - 99% of his stuff is probably made in China, how ironic!

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was going to say fire the drummer but it sounds like he took care of that himself.

Roberto Nunez, Leiria, fdorn and 10 others like this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Why, I oughtta...

[​IMG]

ahc, wmmj, DrummerwStrings and 4 others like this.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Sounds like a lot to put up with from the drummer.

Sixgunn likes this.
  11. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    Gear snob = What you're playing is more important than how you sound and how you play.
    99% of the audience has no idea or much less even care what brands you are using.

Jhengsman, Leiria, Flabass and 4 others like this.
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The up side to the story is the drummer is gone and saved you the hassle of firing him!

13. COLDGLU

COLDGLU

Aug 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    What an absolute snob!
    He didn't even know your, or your financial situation, yet he assumed your attitude from what you brought to practice.
    Good riddance! Having a £3000 Fodera doesn't make you a better musician than somebody with a £300 Squier.
    It's all down to how your hands work.

14. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    13A95A4E-D193-408D-A90E-24D0673C53FA-14006-00000E86DFBC2665_tmp.

15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    The drummer in my old band kept telling me I needed an upright. He was right. Thanks Steve :)

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Can sometimes be an obnoxious jerkweasel.
    I'd beg him to come back just so I COULD fire him. But then I'd have to rage quit. :bored:

17. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    That is amazing.

My drummer gushes over my Jaguar, but hates my Mustang. I know he doesn't care about what's on the headstock because we've discussed gear a lot and he's complemented my cheap Ibanez beater. He also plays bass and guitar very well so I accept that he has his opinions and discuss them with him. He kept telling me my Mustang has no bottom end, he can't hear it, blah blah blah. He and I practiced alone one day. He finally admitted that he prefers the look of full-size basses. That's his beef. Now he's sending me links to medium-scale basses :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:. I keep telling him "I'm married and have a kid. What makes you think I have any money?"

ThinCrappyTone, Nunovsky and wmmj like this.
  18. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    The electric drum kit playing drummer has absolutely no say on what gear you can and can't play, unless he's paying you and providing the gear.

Tbone76, RSBBass, andruca and 2 others like this.
  19. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Kill him and take his stuff.

--^@

20. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I find that to be true regardless of what type of kit he/she is playing