1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer issues!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by toomas72, Jun 10, 2013.

1. toomas72

toomas72

Nov 9, 2010
    My band lost our drummer about a month ago (son died) he couldn't continue. Ever since we have tried to audition drummers (from craigslist) either they are professional good and someone else steals them or most of them are just people who think they can play! I'm looking for ideas to meet a drummer besides Craig's list. Can anyone help? I live in the Las Vegas area. Does anyone know someone stable reliable and decent in my area? Any help is appreciated!

Here is a link to our reverbnation
    http://m.reverbnation.com/artist/2462997

2. Try "Bandmix.com". Good luck.

3. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    This is why networking is so important. CL is like throwing darts in the dark. I'm not criticizing it, it works sometimes, but the good players in a specific area usually know the other good players.

Ya gotta network.

4. toomas72

toomas72

Nov 9, 2010
    Or steal someone else's drummer

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    What can your band offer a drummer, what is appealing about your band to attract the right guy?

blue

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    My old band went thru this and it was rough. To find a drummer that fits your style and is not demanding was not easy to find. We used CL whatever we could and 2 months later we found a good one. Good luck

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Open Mics. Music Store bulletin boards.

8. We are going through this right now with our lead guitar position.

What a PITA. I'm trying bandmix but it just seems like a higher end CL.

I think networking is the key. But the problem is that it seems that there are a lot of people out there who only want to jam or hang out versus actually play in a band. And I live in a more rural area so good players are even harder to come by.

Don't know what to tell you.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Two responses:

1) If you have a chronic problem with other bands stealing your drummers, you might want to look at the reasons why - and fix them.

2) Finding skilled, talented, committed players who are not professionals and are not making their livings from music, is much more difficult than finding either working pros (higher-profile, but usually not available), or amateur hacks (a dime a dozen - and still overpriced). Keep this challenge in perspective, and remind yourself just what you're up against. It can be done. But it ain't easy. :eyebrow:

MM

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis