1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer learns Bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by black lake, Apr 4, 2006.

1. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all,
    New guy here from the Barrie, Ontario, Canada region. Here is my story: I started out playing drums as a teenager, then gave it up to play guitar for most of my young adult years (can't play drums in an apartment building and keep a roof over your head). I returned to drumming 4 years ago when we bought our first house. Now I find the desire to learn to play bass too (geez, like my recent addition of a sound room and multitracker has anything to do with that timing). Ah yes, middle-aged and longing for 4 more arms and 2 more legs to play it all at once:help: Guess it's my version of a mid-life crisis. No Ferrari, no 18 year old blondes, just lots of music.:bassist:

I have been lurking here for the last month gathering information and ideas of a good first bass to buy. Thanks for all the info gathered here, but in the end I had to go play as many basses as I could. My favorite was the Music Man Sting Ray 5, but I was not prepared to drop that much money at this point. The Ibanez SRX700 was my second choice, but the Fender Jaguar also seemed to have the sound and feel I was looking for. Then I had a suprise. One of the salesmen at a local music store, whom I have delt with for years, showed me the OLP Tony Levin sig. 5 string. She aint the prettiest bass in town (she's not ugly either) and nobody will be handing me a members only jacket for owning it, but instantly it had the feel, and the sound I was looking for plus a few sounds I did not expect from a $450 CND bass. No matter which bass I played from that point on, I found myself compairing it to the TL. I bought it, and with the money I saved I decided to pass on the 30 watt practice amp and bought the Yorkville XM200C amp. Oooh does that bass and that amp sound good together.:hyper:

Anywho, that's my story and I look forward to hanging around here to learn more about the world of basses as I learn to play this beast.

Here is my new bass (OLP Tony Levin sig):
    [​IMG]

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Hey Black Lake,
    welcome to TB,i like your choises for first bass,amp!
    play+play+play
    BTW i'm in a city exactly 200 miles north on hwy 69,
    any guesses?

cheers

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome to TB and to the low end! I think you'll find your drum knowledge beneficial to your bass playing and groove abilities.

I picked up a used drum set a few weeks ago and have been messing around on that every day... in another life I would've loved to be a drummer.

I'm glad to hear that you find a bass that was right for you.

4. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Mmm, must be Sudbury...get enough snow this year? It sucked down here, but we did get a month of decent sledding before it all melted away.

Hey Nadav,
    drums work their way into the very fabric of your being. Take away the melody, and the rhythm remains. Ancient and primal, rhythm is the foundation for all music. Playing drums helped me learn guitar (though I didn't see it at the time)and I am hoping playing drums and guitar will help me master an instrument that is a bit (the best bit) of both: the bass. For now I am having a blast just making the walls shake:D