Drummer Problems

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by flea claypool, Dec 4, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    K i got 2 problems with my drummer... he is one of my best friends and all but i just cant take it anymore

1. When jammin in between songs he keeps beating on the drums and wont stop even if we need a word among ourselves

2. If we play say chilis and there is slap in the song he goes mad and asks me if i can just pick it instead... i mean i dont shout at him when he does rim shots :eyebrow:

and we have this really important gig coming up over new year and we jam once a week and i come home every day feeling like it was a total waste of time.... :mad: :mad:

Am i just bein over picky or does anyone else have this problem? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
  2. Sounds like an arsehole..

You need to see what the rest of the group think of his attitude.

And see who is available as a stand in.

Bands should play as a team and contribute to the whole.

Not good to be in bands with friends - it often ruins good friendships.

3. +1
  4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    My drummer is also one of my best friends, and he also hits his drums in between songs. Usually we tell him to stop when we need word, and he listens.

It sounds like you need to have a good talk with him. If other people in your band have a problem with it then you seriously need to have a talk with him. Tell him how you feel, and he should shape up.

I don't know what this whole deal is with the slap thing, but if he gets mad at it thats his problem, it's part of the song so it should be included. If he can't deal with it tell him he should practice the song more.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How old are you guys?

Do you guys drink alot when you play? I noticed in your profile that your other hobby is binge drinking. I'm not attempting to be judgemental/self righteous. The reason I ask is that if all you guys are getting wasted while you play, he may be having a hard time concentrating and being cooperative.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    practice and gigs are two places to be sober
    and the playing in between songs thing is a common problem which needs to be addressed. In my gig space we have a huge markerboard with tunes we play and usually we decide what we need to go over prior to starting. That way when one song is done we can go right on to the next.
  7. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Differing expectations can hinder a band's progress.

Talk, as respectfully as you can, to the drummer and tell him what you'd like him to do differently. You might be surprised how accepting he is.

What is it about your jam sessions that makes it feel like a waste of time?

Does your band have objectives laid out before practice begins (most probably don't, but it's a good idea).

It sounds like some honest communication could be helpful here.
  8. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    We had the same problem, he kept playing in between songs. If he is your best friend he will listen, just be polite or you might lose a friend.

As for the slapping I couldn't help ya. Maybe he needs some earplugs........