1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DSM Omni Cab Sim with a Tech 21 VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Mar 17, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey people,
    I’m considering selling some of my stuff and getting an OmniCSD for my ampless pedalboard. However, my chain currently ends in a VT bass DI. I like the EQ ability and amp sim of the VT. Would the OCSD be redundant? Obviously I’d disengage the speaker sim of the VT to use the OCSD, and the OCSD is more flexible in its speaker sim cabalities, but has anyone ever actually used both in a chain? Most of the pics of boards I’ve seen that have an OCSD don’t have another amp sim type effect. I tried a Digitech CabDryVR after the VT (realizing it’s a different beast than the OCSD) but didn’t like the end result all around.
    Thanks

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I have both, bit haven't tried them together yet. However I did think about doing this the other night when I find that I far prefer the sound with the speaker sim off fed to my amp and cab, but with it on when used as a DI. I wonder if it's possible to mod it rather than depend on a separate cab sim...

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure I understand. What are you suggesting modding? Do you have the kind of VT where you can turn the speaker sim off? As I understand it, you shouldn’t use the speaker sim of the VT if you’re running it into an actual speaker cab.

4. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I’ve been using an OmniCabSim Deluxe at the very end of my chain as an always overall tone shaper with GREAT results! I think of it more like an EQ than a cab sim, though I guess it’s actually both... I’ve got like 4 preamp pedals on my board so I don’t see why the VT Bass wouldn’t pair well with the Omni.

jacoby75 likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I actually have a V1, VTDI, Flyrig and VT500 amp - I've been meaning to offload some of them!

You can certainly use the speaker sim on going into a speaker cab if you like. The original VT Bass had no speaker sim button at all; the V2 added one but messed up the implementation by also removing the 'bite' presence boost when you took the speaker sim off, such that the sound was actually darker with the cab sim off (when most would want to remove it to open up the treble). From what I can gather trying out the VT500 amp compared to running the pedals into the FX return, the amp has the speaker sim baked in at all times going to the cab (yet still sounds good).

In an ideal world, the cab sim would be always on for the DI output, and switchable only for the jack output. Then you always have the speaker sim going to the PA, but have the choice of whether to use it going to your rig or not (e.g. off if you're using an 810, on if you''re using a flat hifi rig with tweeters). I've been meaning to message Mr Putnam, king of all Tech21 mods, to see if such a mod is possible.

eriky4003 and superheavyfunk like this.
  6. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That makes a lot of sense, and would make for a great mod.

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I know that this is an old thread but wanted to add that the OmniCabSim mini has this feature, if anyone is looking for a solution like this

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Exactly why the mini is on my bucket list. Always on for the DI out & the option for on/off at the 1/4" out to amp. Great feature imo.