1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dual coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkbass13, Apr 14, 2006.

1. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    im thinking of having a bass amde for me and i was wondering what everyone though of dual coils ala nordstrands, aeros or seymor duncans? what is the difference between the three sonically? im thinking of pairing them with an aguilar ob-3 the bass will have a buckeye burl top, mahogany body , neck thru, with a 3 piece maple/flamed maple/maple neck, and a birdseye fretboard. it will be a 5 string. hit me up with suggestions. i also might just wind up using sigle coils....leaning towards nordstrand fat stacks....any thoughts feeligns reflections?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Although manufacturers can have a signature quality to tone (ie. Bart), they all make pups that sound a lot different and some may not even have the signature tone. In other words, it's typically more the individual pup than the manufacturer.

I don't know any luthier who can accurately (and probably even remotely) predict the acoustic properties of a bass before it's made regardless of what wood/construction is involved. So it's best to choose the pups after the acoustic properties are determined.

In general, personally I would a select a pup routing that matches the largest number of pups manufactured to fit that route - J's (for 4 string anyway, don't know for 5's). Then you have optimized your tone pallete/flexibility.

A bolder but more practical move would be to route a swath out below the strings then you could mount any pup dimension anywhere and lay a pickgaurd down to fit. I got rid of routings a long time ago and I'd never go back to them.