1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dubstep

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Jan 7, 2012.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I don't know if this is a thread topic yet or not, but I have a question.

Do you dig dubstep?

Whether you produce it, listen to it, or despise it, state your opinion. I'm more or less just wanting to know the consensus. All of us college kids seem to crave it, and its spreading like wildfire to my local high schools. Yet, most older folks just can't get into it.

And no "it takes no skill to make music on computers" talk. I personally have begun venturing into the world of dubstep, and it is just as challenging to create as any other type of music.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm still trying to figure out my thoughts on dubstep. I don't dislike it. In fact, I do listen to a good deal of it and have found myself enjoying it at parties and in my car. But unlike most other music, I've been having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. I can't seem to find a way to apply it to what I'm doing in my own musical career without having to start producing on my own. It's definitely a unique beast.

3. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I haven't really heard enough of it to form a general opinion, but I will say this vid is pretty sick.

Dubstep Beatboxer - YouTube

4. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    I listened to Drum 'N Bass a lot when I was younger, still do. I find Dubstep to be, overall, the bastard red-headed step-child of D'N'B.

However, every form of music has something to give. Everything has something to teach you. Whether it's arrangements, tone, effect use, patterns, progressions, rhythms or whatever. I dig some of the effecting on the synth basslines in Dubstep. I hate, however, the overall beats behind most of the songs. Too slow, too predictable. If I were to do electronic based music, which I am working on currently, it would not be tied to one genre.

5. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    Good example of a Live Band playing a Dubstep track.

"Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" originally by Skrillex.

6. It's a genre that I take on a song by song basis.

Seems to be no middle ground, either really catchy or really dull (IMO).

7. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    I absolutely despise it... Matter of fact, there is something about all electronic music thats just... boring to me. But dubstep holds a special place of hate in my mind... hahaha

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Some of it's pretty damn good, some, not so much.

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Same as darkstrike. Good is good, regardless of genre.

Some of it leaves me cold and some has inspired me to create a couple of tracks of my own.
    Nothing I'm proud of yet, but I'm having fun. And I'm learning more about filters than I ever knew before.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    We listened to a lot of underground dubstep on internet radio in the shop where I worked. It was loud, anonymous, monotonous, and aggressive and we liked it because it made for fast-paced, generic background music to work to. In that capacity, I loved it.

Now this stuff like Skrillex... that just sounds like something Ronnie and the Situation would get really excited about on Jersey Shore. I.e., not my cup of tea at all.

11. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I love dubstep, but then again I liked it before there was "Now that's what I call Dubstep."

I think a lot of this new **** that people are making is kinda awful, and you've got to go back to some of the original guys to get some really good stuff now.

12. To me it's a novelty. I like hearing the occasional song, and I especially enjoy live dubstep like the one DirtyDeRock linked to, or this one: Dubstep Bass Guitar (Nathan Navarro) - YouTube

But I get tired of it pretty quickly. Maybe it would make good background music if I got back into running.

13. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Music is beauty or emotion in my opinion.
    I can't find the beauty or emotion. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
    My bass teacher did show me this really cool pink floyd cover that they did. I liked THAT.
    :|

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Personally I don't listen to it enough to fairly judge whether I like it or hate it. It is just a new craze in music right now is how I look at it. In about 5-10 years (or less) something else will come about.

15. Nathan navarro FTW!!!!!!
    That guy can play.
    Saw the skrillex cover and my mind divided by 0.
    Saw his videos and I was blown away by what he does.

16. Oh and I love dubstep.
    Mking dubstep with no computers.
    Kinda fun actually

17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    There was a while when I listened to a lot of it last year, but it seems like there is not much differentiation between artists or songs. It is very one-dimensional. I still listen to it.

18. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I agree with a lot of the other guys... song by song basis. I've heard some that I think is absolutely awesome, and some of it I love to pump at the gym... but some songs are just awful, and boring. It's hard to say yes or no to the genre as a whole.

19. If I was at a party and had to listen to it, I wouldn't leave the party. However, if I was in a car and had to listen to it, I would argue with the driver to listen to one of my CD's.....or I'll take a cab the rest of the way.

20. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't heard any dubstep that has made me want t go digging to find more. I think my expectations of it were too high, perhaps, and now I just toss it into the "stuff I'm not really into" box. I find it interesting that it's so big right now. To me dubstep came and went years ago. When I was younger I was into techno and acid house (808 State, LFO, Orbital, Opus III, A Guy Called Gerald - that kind of thing) and I still like a lot of jungle and drum and bass. I'd definitely appreciate some references in terms of dubstep that people think is really happening (but please, no Skrillex - that guy makes me want to put my head in a blender).