1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dude, You Just Lost the Gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Examples of Ladies playing bass (better than you)

2. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    I really like that gal in the second video. Those were some of the tastiest fills I've ever heard. 2:45-2:50 area is great, and 3:00 out is top notch. What a player.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Also worth checking out Mohini Dey and Esperanza Spalding. Both amazingly good in very different ways.

4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yeah. Agreed. I hope this will be a lady bass affirmative thread.

grillman and BazzaBass like this.
  5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    And I loved Alessandra's facial expressions while she was just killing that bass.

RustyAxe, KeithPas, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I think we will hear more of Alessandra. Great tone, Precise playing with great accent. Someone give Jeff Beck a call.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I didn't even know I was being considered for the gig! :D

8. What's there not to love? Three talented bassists sharing their art with the rest of us. I really liked the tone of the basses in the last two clips, no offense to Tal. Hers was live and therefore from a different source, obviously.

9. You ARE getting forgetful. :laugh:

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We weren't. I think OP was just tryimg to make us feel better.

SactoBass, lfmn16 and twinjet like this.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    She’s great but doesn’t post that much. Neither does Marta now that I think of it.

Wonder if there’s some reason these skilled female musicians don’t post often. Just kidding, we all know the reason.

GregC, Mosfed, pomegranesis and 5 others like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm not sure which one she outclasses me on the most. .....bass groove or voice.

Wisebass, mdlewis, Nunovsky and 13 others like this.
  13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm glad that's the intent. My read of the title and first post was "it's odd and unusual that a woman can be a great bass player".
    Imagine "dude you lost the gig" with a video of Victor or Marcus or Pattitucci. Yep, I'd lose the gigs to them too.

But yes, there are some amazing bass players out there, and some of them are women.

14. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Gail's live duet with Bowie on "Under Pressure" is highly recommended. I guess she is finding her way as a solo artist now.

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    And the award for the most sexist, tone deaf thread on talkbass goes to ...

Nashrakh, SmokinJoe992, ICM and 7 others like this.
  16. To which comment in particular are you referring? I have a wife and a daughter, and haven't read anything yet that would offend me if said about either of them.

17. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    What does to be a female artist in a “Man’s World” as James Brown says? What is the status of women in music?

I'm quite happy to live in a 'Man's World.' I'm pretty sure that this state of affairs, that a man is the strong leading force has been planned from above. I think that the same principle applies to music. Men are stronger and we can see it, for instance, in the way they play on an instrument. Women on the other hand are more sensitive and softer. I don't think that we can say whether one is better or worse from the other. They definitely differ and each has something special to offer, which we can hear in music. Seeing a female bass guitar player is gradually becoming more common, and I have to admit that I have never experienced any form of criticism concerning my choice of instrument, quite the opposite is true, it's perceived as an asset.

JaseyT and DukeCC like this.
  18. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015

bonin in the boneyard likes this.