1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncan 3-band Installed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Samsound, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    So, I finally got my Duncan 3-band preamp installed in my SR405. The pot holes had to be slightly enlarged to accommodate the larger collars. No other mods to the bass were required, however it IS a tight fit. The nice, hard plastic battery terminal added too much length to the battery to fit in my compartment, so swapped the old flimsy one back on there. With all the spaghetti and larger PCB, it was a very tight squeeze getting everything back in there. I haven't screwed down the back plate yet, just in case I encounter issues in the next 2 weeks. The included knobs are black powder-coated aluminum, and are significantly LARGER than the stockers. I toyed with using the new knobs on EQ, and stock, black chrome, dome knobs on Vol/Blend, but it looked kinda silly. All large looks better, although a bit brutish. All stockers is not an option, since my bass came (used) minus the stacked treble knob.

Impressions.
    First thing I noticed is how quiet my bass is now. I was getting really bad HF noise before, even when jury-rigging it passive. Must have been the wiring, and not the preamp board (I was worried it was the pickups). No noise now.

The EQ is very musical, with a wide range of adjustment. Setting all 3 flat, vs. setting all 3 max (or in between), yields a different sound. So, very interactive. The push/pull slap switch is very cool. Pull action is smooth and positive, without feeling like you're gonna pull the shaft out of the pot. It does make for a nice slap tone, but is equally useful as a Reggae switch or something with the treble dialed to min and the mids bumped up a bit.

I won't really get a full appreciation of it until Wednesday at band rehearsal through the FOH. I've got a few bad room nodes here in my un-studio so it really sounds different here than at a gig.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Kewl. Glad you got it to fit the space. Duncan and their basslines preamps are very nice. I picked the basslines 2band version out of several more exepensive versions cause it had better treble center freq choices for me then the competition offered. Concidered the 3 band you got but figured out it would not fit the control cavities. Too big a circuit board.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Yeah I considered the Aguilar 3-band but I knew there was no way I'd be able to squeeze a 2nd battery in there.