1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncun PJ Pickups - The wrong Pots!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big Tbone Jones, May 10, 2010.

1. I recently replaced the pickups on a Minarik Diablo bass a guy gave me with Duncun Basslines. Problem is the pots that came with the kit are short shaft 100k. They dont fit through the body. Ijust used the original 500k's but Duncun said I could use 250k pots, that this would be better. I can't find 100k long shafts anywhere. Has anybody ran into this, and what do you think about using 25k pots like the EMG's use? Oh, also, the output is no louder than my passive P bass really when compared. I wonder what went wrong. The pups sound OK, no noise etc. just no hotter. Thanks, Big T Las Vegas.

2. 25K/100K pots are for use in low impedance systems.
    Trying to run the high impedance output from your pickups through such a low value pot will divert most of your output to ground, which will kill most, if not all of your output.

Stick with 250K/500K pots only...

3. Thanks Line,
    Scott at Duncun confirms, go with the 250K on this, since nobody makes 100k long shafts.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Active doesn't always mean they will be louder.