1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop 105Q pops when disengaged

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Valerus, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    nothing to worry about. :p

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You mean the sudden change in volume and tone?

Yeah, it does that. It has to do with the shutoff delay. It's one of the things that bugged me about the 105Q when I had one.

It's adjustable... I can't remember how, but there have been many threads on it before.

3. Pick up wah pedal, walk to bin, open lid, insert wah pedal, close lid.

I've never understood why these things have been so popular, but hey, that's just MHO.

If I recall there's some crap in the manual about adjusting trim pots and so forth, worth checking out.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I really like the 105q - and you get rid by adjusting the trimpots, iirc.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

6. Had the same problem on mine when I bought it a few weeks ago. As mentioned, adjusting the trim pots got rid of the pop.

7. Same. I love mine... and it doesn't pop iirc.

There is a trim pot right around the battery compartment. You might not even have to take the bottom plate off.

8. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think you can turn them with your finger. I do not remember using a screwdriver.

I also love my 105q.

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try all the way clock wise. I remember when I was messing with mine feeling like it was backwards.

10. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    i had the same problem when i had mine. i called dunlop and sent it back, it might have been 50 bucks or so(i didn't have a warranty card it might be covered under warranty with no money needed, not sure) but they sent me a brand new one.

11. I had some real troubles with my 105Q.

First, the little switch at the heel end stopped working and the wah wouldn't turn off. So I replaced it with another larger switch and that gave a thud (low freq, not really a 'pop') every time it turned on or off.

Mine is one of the ones before they added the internal trim pots to change switching delay time so I can't offer any advice on that.

It's now sitting in my band studio in pieces ready to be played around with tonight. I have a 3PDT switch, blue LED & resistor, and a bunch of wire. With any luck I'll be able to mod it for true bypass without screwing it completely.

It's taken a while but I'm finally going to get onto it. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes soonish :)

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    It's funny I actually like that about it, I like to give it a quick tap now and then and the sound if it coming back down and turning it's self off is a real cool sound when run through or after or both before and after you grind boxes of choice.

As for the pop, no idea, I've had mine for like 7 years and never had that happen or any other problem.

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hey I love my 105Q aswell. Fiddle with the trim pots until you get the pop gone. It's not to hard. Has any one messed with the main pot (the one that controls the wah freq.) To try and get a different sweep out of it? I did. Moved it up just a little so that it would start farther along in the mids so that it would sound better with my bassballs. Mine's awesome, but I do wish it had just a little more effect. Has any one tried two at once? I think it was timmy c that had two of them at once.

14. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Timmy C runs two at once, but not in series.

They are in parallel, one for his clean amp, one for his dirty amp.

15. Atomicant

Atomicant

Feb 3, 2006
    Australia
    Actually he only did that in Audioslave where he had three amps. One clean, one dirty (with wah) and one dirtier (with wah)

With rage he only used one wah.

16. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Let's not turn this into a Tim C discussion...But yes, Atomicant is right.

I never had any problems with my first 105Q, I just turned the trimpot and it eliminated the delay, problem solved. I've got another one on the way because I regret selling my first one.

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
  18. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Hmm...

I just opened up my Q-105...

I have two white trim pots in mine, both near the volume and q external twist knobs (for lack of a better technical term). when I turn them, I don't notice any change in the shut off delay time....

what I did notice, is that if they're not dialed in correctly, I will get a "popping" noise when the pedal is pushed down through it's full range. Not really sure what these two trim knobs do... does anyone know? One is labeled "TP3" and is a 20K pot the other is labeled "TP1" and is a 5K pot...

Where's "TP2"? I assume that's the delay pot?

19. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    It's cuz they're funkier than my farts after 19 years on a fast-food diet without a single colon cleansing.