Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dunlop strap lock problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassuser35, Apr 1, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    When I install the dunlop strap locks to my bass the screws dunlop supplies are to thin for the bass, yet the screws that come with my bass are too thick for the strap locks. What should I do to make the dunlop straplocks more secure and sturdy on my bass? Thanks

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Put a piece of wood into the hole with wood glue, let dry, then redrill the hole to accomodate the smaller screw.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If I remember correctly, I jammed a total of three toothpicks into each mounting hole.

As abark000 said, put a drop or two of wood glue in the hole first, then jam the toothpicks in and wait for the glue to dry. I don't think I put any glue in when I did mine, I just jammed the toothpicks in, put a drop or two of clear nail polish into the hole and screwed the screws in. The nail polish should keep the screws from working themselves loose. It's been about three years and so far, so good!

4. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I drilled out the hole in my straplock.

5. Use wood dough, a.k.a. wood filler. I had to take dobs of it & roll 'em into mini-joint-like sticks and stuff 'em in to the hole. Screw in Dunlops & let dry overnight. Voila! Perhaps a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the screw the next day to cinch it & you're ready to flail away.

The above methodology is the only way I would desecrate a Warwick limited edition, since it enables reinstallation of OEM strap pins if need be.

6. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    :D

7. Plankspanker has a point, but I would counter with "You can always drill it out again" - which is what I would do. I've done the toothpick thing too, or if you are a woodworker and have a plane, the little curly cue things that come off of a board work really well. just wrap one of the curls up with glue and put it in the hole. You still have a nice hole only it's smaller. :)

Much lowness to all,

BT