1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

During a long hiatus...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by JimmyM, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're in the middle of a 6-week hiatus from NIN, right? Does it ever drive you mental not to be back out playing with them? Or were the past 7-8 months so intense that you're grateful for it and wish it was longer? Do you still ever go over the stuff you're playing with NIN in your downtime or is it so ingrained now that you can do it in your sleep? I know, kind of a frivolous question, but I was curious.

BTW, I see your old bandmate Josh Freese is, indeed, back with Devo. I guess Devo's way easier tour schedule (one date here and there) plus the fact that they're recording a new album and he can be home every night makes it easier to raise kids. Has nothing to do with anything, but just thought I'd mention it since I'm a huge fan of his as well.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    All of us need these breaks in between the legs of this tour. This particular break is 9 1/2 weeks between shows, maybe 6 weeks between the last show in Australia and the start of rehearsals in early April.

NIN shows are so physically and emotionally intense that everyone needs to step away for a bit and recover, so the time off is great.

When we re-group on day one of rehearsal, we're all really excited and happy, don't get me wrong. But the absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder. I think that's true of any band I've been in.

I don't practice NIN stuff, no. I don't really ever practice, even if I should. With NIN, I think I do my best work if I'm on the knife edge between preparedness and, well, unpreparedness.

Just has always been with Devo, they did shows throughout his NIN career, even during the Lights in the Sky touring. But yeah, it's way easier on him for sure.

Best,
    JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's a pretty intense level you guys operate at, especially now that you're a 4-pc. I'll tell you, from the clips I've seen, I think the 4-pc stripped down show is the best. I dig the production values, and it really made a big statement with the videos and lighting, but in the end, I just like to go see a band kick it. That's the draw for me.

Didn't know Josh was still doing Devo shows during the LITS tour, though. He missed a few over the last couple years. That new drummer you have is a monster. He's like 20 or 21, right? Sheesh...scary s---!