Dusty Hill and ZZ Top Live

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NickMarinelli, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

Where did they play in GF? I did not even hear that they were playing there. Usually I hear who's coming to your neck of the woods. Winnipeg only being 3 hours north it is easy to run down to catch a show that we aren't getting up here.

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Rio Grandes are amazing pickups. I've got the Muy Grande Jazz pickups in my SX and they're just amazing. Very Mid-range focused and barky, just like Dusty's tone.

Being from Houston, you have to have a love for ZZ Top, and they were and are an amazing band. Billy Gibbons is just a master of guitar, and Dusty is able to back up everything impeccably and lay down a fat groove.

3. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND

They played at the Chester Frits auditorium on the UND campus. It holds something like 2300 people. Great venue for sound and seeing the band.

4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    This thread makes me smile. Those guys are just too cool. :cool:

5. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

That's cool. Nice spot to see a legendary band for sure!

6. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    dusty also is a great singer and dig his songs, I got the six, hi fi mama

7. Tobias Wilcox

Tobias Wilcox Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Whats the PU in this custom P bass?

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1
    :hyper:

9. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I totally agree.. Fandango is a great album. Best of both, live and in the studio, Heard it on the X, Blue Jean Blues, Thunderbird. Just a great album..

10. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    If your interested in hearing some serious ZZ stuff, they have a "fairly" new album out called "mescelaro?" It RAWKS!! Old school style ZZ songs, with plenty of humor and enough grit to sink ur teeth into!! BUY IT!

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Agreed. One of their best albums ever.

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And don't forget to lay some love on Frank Beard, too.

If you listen to 10 drummers try to cover La Grange, 1 of them might get the feel really close, another 2 or 3 will get close enough for bar band work, and the rest of them will just miss it entirely. The stuff he plays may be simple but it is definitely not easy.

Just as swingin' a drummer as the day is long. Rock solid.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yep. Frank understands the importance of laying behind the beat. He always hits that snare at the last possible millisecond. And that's why most otherwise good drummers suck when they try to play his beats.

14. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

Tone, Taste, and Tenacity... )-(

15. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Dusty Hill is IMO simply one of the greatest bass players anywhere, period. Totally soild groove on any song he plays. I've seen them live going way back to the Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres days all the way up to the current stuff. I'm always impressed with the fact that he has the ability to play three piece without overplaying all the time. He proves that you can stay down low, play soild groove bass lines and just KILL in a three piece situation.

I've covered (and sometimes butchered) many ZZ songs over the years and it's always fun.

I like the enchiladas and the teriaki too
    I even like the chicken if.... The sauce is not too blue

16. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Farmington, IL USA
    Yeah, I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta chime in here and give some props to the Beards' Three.

I caught their show at the Peoria Civic Center a couple of summers ago and it was awesome. That place is notorious for bad sound. I mean really, really bad sound. I could hear everything! I'm not sure I've ever heard bass in there, but I could hear Dusty Hill. They were ON IT, and Billy's playing actually made me giggle - which was kinda embarrassing, but it was loud in there and no one could hear me. One of my favorite shows.

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    They totally ruined the original sound of the albums when they remixed them with all that reverb added to the drums....YUCK!

Edit: Ooops, this thread is about their live sound. Sorry for being off topic. But still..

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    +1000! ZZ Top definitely stands the test of time. So many other bands have come and gone since they started and they are still here kicking a** as always!:D:bassist:

Is this the show you guys saw the other day?
    51QocBSUjCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is an awesome DVD by the way so any of you ZZ Top fans need to get this. It's actually only $10 at Wal-Mart!

19. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Farmington, IL USA
    Agreed!

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Glad I still have my vinyl then! Eliminator was the first LP I bought from them after seeing 'Gimme All Your Lovin' on MTV back in the day when MTV actually played music! (I was in high school) Still my favorite.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021