Dusty Hill and ZZ Top Live

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NickMarinelli, Jul 8, 2008.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    BIG +1 I heard that Billy Gibbons was involved with the remix of those albums. If true, what was he thinking?

2. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    They are great live. At the concert I went to, they actually appeared to be enjoying themselves as much as the crowd.

3. I saw them at the Colorado Springs World Arena about three years ago and they were amazing. I went on about that show for months. Dusty is a complete bass player and knows exactly how to drive a song. I wish they had played Blue Jean Blues though. Greatest guitar song ever. That song has a life of it's own. + a zillion to Fandango!!!

H

4. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    I have quite a few ZZ Top CDs, but not Fandango. Obviously, after reading these comments, I'm going to have to get it now.

5. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Farmington, IL USA
    Yes. Yes you are. :)

6. DaveBailey

DaveBailey

Aug 3, 2011
    Funny thing. Driving home from vacation the other day, my girl pulled out my Best of ZZ top cd to listen too. I almost forgot how much I liked them. So as soon as I got home, I was on you tube watching video's and grabbing some bass tabs and playing along. What seems like simple riffs based off 12 bar blues will wear you out! But they are a great way to work on your groove, and fun as hell to play.

7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    ZZ Top has been and always will be one of my favorite bands to listen to and to cover. I have played and sung lead on many of their songs over the years and they always go over very well. Last Sunday, my band was headlining a big festival and I decided to do La Grange and the place went crazy and we got a huge round of applause. We also did Gimme All Your Lovin', Sharp Dressed Man, and Tube Snake Boogie and I saw people grooving and singing along. I always say no matter where the gig is, if we play ZZ Top, it will go over.

Here is a great ZZ Top song that shows was Dusty can do.

ZZ TOP - Arrested For Driving While Blind - YouTube

8. ZZ Top kicks ass... one of my favorite bands ever. I managed to hook my wife on them too... and it lead to a very funny coincidence; when my son was born (6 months ago), we hadn't actually thought of a name yet; so when we were basically enjoying the sight (and sound) of our new kidlet, we were surprised by the head nurse who was basically wanting to write down his details. Off the top of my head I just blurted "Dustin" - which my wife agreed with... which conveniently shortens down to Dusty. In Indonesia it's actually quite common for people to have only a single name, so that was the end of it, I thought. Figures that for foreigners (like me), the rules differ, and he needed a last name. Since I was sacked out on a crappy hospital bed at the time, my wife took care of that.

Imagine my surprise (a welcome one at that) to find that she gave "Hill" as surname; asked her about it and she had a bit of a laugh about it because she liked the name Dustin Hill (even though the real Mr. Hill has Dusty as a nickname), and she likes ZZ Top, and the name literally translated to Indonesian is good for a lot of humor on our kids' part later on.

Yeah... we're not that original.

Okay back on topic... :p

9. ZZ Top was the second concert I ever saw, The Allman Brothers Band was the first. The year was 1972, Rio Grande Mud had just been released. The Ticket was $3.50 and there were 5 bands on the bill. ZZ Top came out, no silly props, just cowboy boots and jeans, and proceeded to absolutely scorch the stage with the hottest Texas-style blues rock I had ever seen. I was so disappointed when they went so commercial after seeing what they could do.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021