Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD's are getting really stupid......(rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I would seriously like to start up my movie collection again but i'm really starting to get annoyed by DVD's because i'm low on money. Why must they up the price and then add all these "bonus" features no one cares about? I don't want all that crap, I just want the movie and only the movie.

I lost one of my movies I bought a while back that was rather cheap. So I go and re-buy it only to find the movie to now be in "special eddition" and the price is nealy doubled. Do they think i'm Bill Gates or something? Why do they assume I want all this extra crap on my DVD? Do they think everyone in the room is going to stand up and start dancing while slapping high fives with each other because of these special features?

I wish DVD's were like how they were 4 or 5 years ago. They just give you the regular movie, and occasionally a few previews. What's with the new ones making it so you can't even skip past their annoying adds?

The world is backwards.

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You don't like the hearing the director's commentary in French?

3. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Dig through the used bin at Blockbuster.
    I've gotten quite a few that way.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I totally dug the Lesbo Stripper and Bachelor Party featurettes in American Pie and American Wedding DVDs yo!

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    syciprider-have you seen the Band Camp one yet? I bought it-the bonus features are OK/good. Movie is stupid, but i enjoyed it still. A bonus-you can skip through the previews.

I dig havin the option to get all sorts of bonus features-not somethin that is overly important though.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, actor interviews, how they shot the film and stuff. But then again, I like knowing how things were done and seeing this art form from another perspective.

I just wish you could FF through the ads they put at the beginning though.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you're too young to remember how much video tapes used to cost- anyone remember $50 for E.T. back in the mid-80s?

I dig the bonus features, and they'd probably charge the same amount of money for a non-special feature DVD at this point anyways, so might as well enjoy it.

8. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I buy special editions just because they often have more interesting cover/case/box art and packaging, and/or they have scenes that were left out of the theatrical release. I can't stand the idea of not seeing the *whole* movie (eg, I'm extremely irritated that I only have the R-rated version of American Psycho, which lacks a few seconds and one syllable of a word when compared to the Unrated cut). I mostly buy used at pawn shops, EB Games, and video stores, so it's luck of the draw regarding what I find, but it's saved me a TON of money.

It is kinda stupid to offer special editions without offering regular editions, though.

9. Its also really stupid to release a movie with like a couple extra scenes, and then half a year later release a 2 maybe 3 disc edition of it. I personally like the special features on DVD's because it gives me a chance to see new stuff, perhaps if its a movie like Jacobs Ladder, they can explain some of the imagery they used and what the meaning behind it is. Same with commentaries, I am a commentary whore. Plus, if you are trying to become a filmmaker, you can see how certain people do it so you can explore new techniques or see some tricks for helping a low budget flick get some of the nicer looking special effects. Yea thats not everyone, but theres people who still like em.

And you should pick up the Southpark DVD box sets. Apart from trailers and like a 2 minute commentary on some of them, there is absolutely no special features whatsoever.

10. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I just like...download my movies then put them on disc or record them from the TV with my DVD Recorder. I find extra stuff on the disc pretty worthless

11. I just think the names are rediculus

the bueller bueller edition? I mean, I understand, but is that the best they can come up with?

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bad Brains,
    Rising DVD prices aren't always the norm. For example, three years ago, I couldn't find a copy of This is Spinal Tap on DVD for love or money. I finally caved and shelled out $25 at Suncoast. About six months later, copies were all over the place for $10 or under...all with the bonus features.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As long as the bonus features are well done, I really appreciate them. I like hearing different comentaries which maybe make you think about the film in different ways and I also dig any documentary footage they have.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Me too, that's what I miss on some movies that either don't have any bonus features, or ones that could have done much better but have crap for bonus features.

You can fast forward through the previews, you usually can just use the Search button instead of the Chapter Skip.

I prefer movies who put the previews into a sub menu you can view later instead of even making you fast forward through them.

15. I think I am the only person here who has watched "Finding Nemo" with the director's commentary.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Nope. I've heard it.

I actually love commentary tracks for when I'm having sleepless nights. I turn it on, let them run and having the extra voice over helps me fall to sleep easier.

This isn't to say I don't pay attention to the commentaries, but as a second use it's pretty cool.

17. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with you Bad Brains. I am only interested in the movie most of the time. Hardly ever look at the special features at all. I have found that most movies get really cheap before a special edition comes out. So I watch the sale ads in the paper. When I see a movie I might want is $10 or 2 for $15 at Best Buy or something I go ahead and get it. Odds are good it is getting ready to come out in a special edition that will make me pay extra for a bunch of crap I don't want.

18. I'll just say, the Spinal Tap commentary is the greatest thing ever.

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Why is it worth it?
    I own it, but I never watch the special features

20. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I won't buy a DVD unless it has lots of extra features.

If I'm going to plunk down $15-20, I want to see MORE than I saw in the theater.