1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E-Bay - bank draft payment??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkyFrosty, Mar 7, 2008.

1. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Ok dudes and dudesses, bought a new acoustic guitar from e-bay from a seemingly very reputable seller (loads of great feedback - 3hrs from me etc etc).

He insisted upon bank draft payment cause he hates PayPal fees (understandable) so I get his draft which they told me at my bank is "guaranteed".

Of course its a draft so as soon as I got it, the funds were removed from my account. Sent the draft to seller via tracked mail, seller recieved draft but says that he won't ship the guitar until the draft clears into his account.

From what I understood at my bank - the draft is guaranteed.

Should there be a time delay for a draft to clear for the recipient? or is the seller jerking me around.

Advice from you experienced bankers / e-bayers please.

Frosty.

2. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    It is possible to counterfiet a bank draft, cashiers check or money order. If you recieve one as payment it is advisable to wait for it to clear before shipping since the bank you cash it at will hold you responsible for the funds and you will be out the item.

3. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    OK - how long does the clearing process take??

4. A few days to a week. How long have you been waiting? I hate paypal fees as well, but I put up with them because of the ease and I can file a claim if I get jerked around.

lowsound

5. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Not long but just wanted to get an idea of when this guy should be shipping me my guitar.

I too, am much more used to PayPal and like the fact the there is some protection with PayPal, I claimed once and they got my money back, I figure the amount you pay in fees is like a small insurance policy against fraudulance.

I'm going to give dude a week them demand my guitar.

Frosty.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    As long as the guy stays in contact with you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Aside from waiting for funds to clear (perfectly reasonable), there is the whole issue of boxing up and shipping it out to you on his schedule.

Just because someone sells something on E-Bay does not mean they are a regular dealer of that merchandise. I have sold a lot of things on e-bay, but I also lead a very busy life and getting anything large ready to ship (safely) and finding the time to get it to my UPS center isn't always easy.

Have a bit of patience, and as long as he communicates with you, keep your cool. We live in a very impatient, instant gratification world (which is why so many buy online), but unless you bought it with a credit card from an online business and ordered it with overnight shipping, don't expect private sellers to jump out of bed at 2 AM to check your final bid, box up your item and camp out in front of UPS until they open.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I never buy from ebay unless I can use paypal. I also ask the seller for a timeframe in which they intend to pack and ship, BEFORE I bid. If they don't ship on that time frame, I contact them twice a day every day until the item ships. If it goes more than a week over schedule, I get their telephone number from ebay and start calling.

I don't really care about a seller's personal life, how far away the UPS store is, or what else he's got going on right now. He's made a contract to sell me a good and he needs to live up to that. If someone doesn't want to be a retailer, then they shouldn't sell items on ebay.

I rarely sell on ebay, but I've sold alot of items on TB and I ALWAYS ship within 48 hours.

8. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I like your attitude man....wish everyone had that same ethos....

Frosty.

9. I always ship within that time frame as well, except for my Fbass. Sold it on a Friday then UPS was being stupid so it took me 5 days to have it shipped off. Only three business days. FWIW I have never had a problem either on here or ebay with people taking too long to ship. I give people the benefit of the doubt and I give them a few days because I know life gets busy sometimes.

lowsound