1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA Doubler Quagmire

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Sibley, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm trying to decide between the EA Doubler and my Markbass Lil' Tube. I started looking for a higher powered amp because I finally got a gig on electric bass playing in a top 40 band.

I picked up the Markbass and fell in love with the sound. It's even pretty decent at amplifying my Realist pup which I used along with my Jazz fretless at a doubling gig the other night. People were pretty floored with the sound of the Fender but I heard the Pollmann came off a little muddy on the solos (maybe I could EQ that out).

Then I came across some guys on here that use the EA Doubler and I thought "I better check that out before I settle on the Markbass." The EA is definitely clearer and it has a lot of very useful, very smart options for using a microphone or having multiple tone settings and a lot of customization. Every time I mess with that thing I just feel like I'm dealing with a really well designed product with the highest quality standards.

So now I'm torn. I really want to be able to blend a mic and a transducer someday and even though the Markbass will do that, the EA obviously has an advantage there. But, I really want to be excited about my electric bass tone.:bassist:

I was thinking that maybe I could compromise by using a modeling pedal like the Tech 21 VT Bass Pedal for the electric. Thoughts???

2. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I guess what I'm asking is: Will I be able to get a phat, warm EB tone with the EA and a Bass VT that will make me happy like the Markbass does?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    IME the EA amps sound great with electric. I have never known them to be anything but warm and articulate. I still think the iAMP350 is one of the best(or was one of the best) bass guitar amplifiers built. The Markbass heads have a warm quality to them, but I haven't been too impressed with the way they respond to piezo pickups. Depending on the bass you may find that the Sansamp isn't necessary to warm up the sound. It will definitely give you more of an "ampeg" sound however...

4. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I gotta say- I just went from a vintage SVT to a doubler (see my mini-review on the doubler thread) and was VERY pleasantly surprised at the the electric tone.

5. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

The only thing I found a bit lacking in the EA Micro is the EQ capability. I have solved that by adding a Boss PQ-3B or an Empress Para EQ.

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I play Markbass amps now (an F1 and a LMII), but I used to have an iAmp 800. It was the best sounding amp I have ever played, to my ears. I would have kept it but for two reasons:

• It wasn't quite loud enough, or at least its perceived loudness was not great enough for it to keep up with the loud drummer I was playing with at the time. (Ken Jung can accurately describe the tonal character of that amp and how it contributes to a lower perceived loudness).
    • Its 2 ohm performance dissappointed me. At any considerable volume running at 2 ohms, it would intermittently cut out on a loud transient, and then come back on about 4 seconds later. Of course I understand what it was doing and why, but I was concerned about how soon the limiter would kick in.

I just played a big band doubler gig last weekend (Dallas Metropolitan Winds). I wished i had the EA doubler amp the whole time. Neither of my volume considerations above would have mattered in that circumstance, and all I would have been left with was sweet, buttery tone.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'm not sure that you will need the VT, but it's a very cool little box.
    If you are going to be switching between Double Bass and Electric Bass then the Doubler has different EQ points on each channel to give each instrument it's due. That's what it was designed for. IMHO you should find someone with the Doubler and put it side by side with your LMK II and F1 and use your ears.

Ric

8. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    That was my plan all along but, and you may have seen my post in the Markbass Warranty thread, my MB Tube died and needs to be returned to Musicians Friend.

Thanks for the responses guys. Hey, which pup were you using with the EA. I'm currently using the Realist but was thinking about switching to the Full Circle.

IMO the EA does have a good EB tone but to my ears it is more modern, hi-fidelity, and I prefer the warmth of the Markbass. Do you think a pedal could get some of that back. I would just go pick one up, but selection is dismal locally.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a DHA (Dave Hall Amps) VT-1-EQ-Bass. A really great sounding unit that triples as a DI and headphone amp. It has a really nice tone, warm but subtle. Lots of tonal and gain options.

Mike

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Get the amp that sounds best to you. I believe Peter Palmieri has the Doubler and the iAmp Pro and he can give you more info about that amp.

If you need two channels and separate EQ, I believe the Radial Basebone will do that. I'd stay away from the little tube Markbass and if I were to get a Markbass it would be one without the tube (since I believe the tube is mounted directly on the board or something like that).

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    The Doubler does have 2 separate channels with separate EQ

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe the tube is soldered directly to the board. Honestly, while its a neat idea, I don't think the sound going through the tube is that different from Markbass's solid state preamp. Its already a warm sounding amp.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Really? How would you change the tube? Seems like a bit of a design compromise

14. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I guess you're not supposed to. :(

15. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I know but I thought he might be interested in the iAmp Pro b/c of the extra POWER!! :) Isn't that one of the reasons that Peter ended up with both?

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It does. One of the channels has a 3-band EQ and the other has a flat-contour1-contour2 switch. Each has its own volume, and there is a switchable boost/effects loop that hits both channels. Plus a decent DI. That is a very useful little tool.

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Once again, it comes down to what works best on your bass and how much bowing you are going to do. IMHO the Realist has a better sound with the bow. However, for most other players on Talkbass the Full Circle works better across a large number of different basses and amps and can get louder than the Realist.

It's always a compromise, isn't it? In most situations I'm just not fond of carrying around "little boxes" along with the DB, amp, cabinet, portable bass stool, and extension cord.

Ric

18. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I hear that. The only box I've found I need on some gigs is fdeck's high-pass filter--and the doubler has that built-in. I recently got a Doubler and Wizzy 110. Punchy, powerful tone, it really cuts through with a large group. And, for sure there are pedals that will 'warm' your tone, (Warning, non-popular opinion alert!) a low cost warmifier box is the Art Tube MP.

[Just a note for all out there, I have a Bassbone and it's HEAVY. The input/EQ are not tailor-made for a direct signal from an upright. Think of it as two good DIs with a channel switcher. If you run the output from your UB through an acoustic pre-amp into the Bassbone, that's a good way to use one with UB. Or.... just get a doubler.]

19. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    Hey Ross, Where did you get your Doubler?
    I just got mine about two weeks ago, and I've got a Wizzy 12Mline (4 ohm) on order.
    There was a shop in Vancouver going to carry EA stuff, but after a couple of months delay they just sort of dissappeared so I contacted the International Rep (he lives in Vernon by the way) and he had it sent to me.
    He is also the Rep for Dingwall if you're interested.

How does your Doubler/Wizzy stack up against your Flightcase ?
    I'd be in interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter

20. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Sure Don, I think they both came from the Vernon Music Shoppe. I left the acquisition in Greg's hands. :) Both of the band's UBs have been with Zak Stolk for a couple of weeks getting their yearly physical, so I've only played electric through the Doubler/Wizzy. However, my comment about the Wizzy 10 being punchy was very true. It is a lot ballsier and obviously more powerful than the Super Flightcase, really 'throwing' the sound forward. Of course, its Wattage dictates that. I can already see that there are particular styles that I've come to prefer through one amp over the other.

There's a huge paradigm shift between using UB and EB with that group. It's exactly as if my role within the band changes when I'm on EB. The directness of my sound makes it even more obvious that often, 32 people are in 32 different places. Once in a blue moon, someone sugar-coats that 'someone, somewhere' is maybe 'a little' off, but no one has ever said: "Listen mofos, forget what your teacher taught you about phrasing when you were learning to play; he wanted you to suck so you wouldn't get better than him. The metronome is always right, and if you don't practise with one every day, chances are you're wrong, so listen to the freakin' ride cymbal!"

Whoa, sorry about the hostility--I don't know where that came from.