1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA Doubler Quagmire

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Sibley, Apr 16, 2010.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree. I was contemplating buying this amp but opted against it when I learned of this. If it had a standard 12AX7 it might be a different story. I am not sure a tube as small as the one they use can really add enough to warrant having it. I have played through the amp and don't notice a marked difference in tone. I still think the Markbass heads sound terrific. I use a Little Mark myself...

2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I have the Doubler and was all set to buy the Pro with the higher power for loud electric gigs. My experience with the Doubler is that for loud gigs if I use 2 cabs to get it down to 4 or 8 ohms there was no way I needed any more power. I'm an endorser and can get a good price on the Pro, but for me, there's no need. The biggest advantage of the Pro is more extensive EQ. I wish I could get a petition started for Fishman to reintroduce the Dual Parametric EQ---Direct box. Two fully parametric bands and a decent direct box. I recently talked to an engineer at Fishman and they thought that it was the best piece of gear they ever made. Didn't sell, though.I attribute this to ignorant musicians. With that box and the Doubler amps are about the lowest priority on my GAS list.

3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    THIS IS ALL IMO...

As far as tone goes the doublers got it, I find no need for an additional tone shaping pedal with electric or DB...

I'd agree with Mike when running two 8 cabs the doubler performs very nicely for loud electric gigs. I don't play any DB gigs that the doubler could not handle.

If you want to play really loud with just one 8 ohm cabinet like a 2x10. A higher powered head then the doubler like the Pro gives you that additional headroom. I recently played a larger room on electric with no PA support with my NL210 and IAMP Pro. I could have handled that gig with two NL210s and a doubler but the Doubler and a single NL210 would not have cut it.

In that last case it's much easier to carry the bigger Pro head then a second cabinet.

4. This is precisely what I'm planning to try. Been playing around with a VT Bass for about a week and my Doubler is in transit. Amp should be here early next week.

I like the idea of having great UB sound and using the pedal to get a more vintage EB sound when desired. Seems so much more practical than a heavy expensive unreliable tube amp that only sounds good for EB.

Got a few EB gigs next week, so I should have plenty of opportunity to put this set-up through its paces. We'll see how it turns out. Will be sure to report back.

Joe

5. My Doubler arrived just in time to run off to an electric gig last night. First time out with my J Bass through the VT Bass and Doubler. Happiest I've ever been with my tone, though the fact that I just picked up a Bergantino HT210 to stack on top of my HT310 also played a roll.

I've been a bit concerned that this set-up has no parametric eq, but I didn't miss it. The VT Bass is tricky to figure out as the "character" knob has a difficult to pin-point (for me at least) effect on the eq. After many hours of sitting at home playing with the pedal, it's starting to make sense to me and I'm finding that I can really dial in whatever tone I'm looking for pretty easily and somehow don't miss a parametric eq.

The J Bass sounds fine through the Doubler without the VT, I can pretty much get the same sound I got through my old SWR stuff (which I don't hate). But, I like it a whole lot more with the VT, it really gets the sound I'm after. Whether the Doubler on its own cuts it for you will surely depend on what sort of sound you're after.

Thumbs up for Doubler + VT Bass!

Joe

6. A couple of months ago I was playing at a festival and as usual the sound guys look at an upright as if it's a big BG. :rolleyes:
    Low impedance DI and a small Fender combo on stage...
    There I decided to buy a decent pre-amp to have my own upright sound anywhere I want in a split-second.
    So I bought the Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre and even through my own equipment the upright comes to life!
    Since then whatever bass-amp I plug in it sounds good.

My advise to you: Buy the amp that gives you the best EB sound, add the PZ-Pre for your upright and you'll be happy.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-pzpre.htm

pzpre-top-dds-slice-370.