Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAmp 500

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Touch, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I took the plunge and ordered one...

It should be here in a couple of days....

... a couple of days .....

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Did you get the combo or just the head?

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I really hope you will dig yours as i dig mine, great amp, i pair it with a wizzy, and i can say that this little rig changed my life and saved my back...

NUNO

4. bluegreenturtle

bluegreenturtle

Mar 15, 2003
    Oregon
    I'm still up in the air on this - series III clairus or iamp 500. hmmm what to do what to do. The iamp seems to be more whomp for less $$ and the AI seems to be less weight for more $$ with the bonus of effects.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    The FedEx man delivered the goods earlier today. I've got the iAmp 500 head now running an EA VL-110. Also trying it with my Acme B-2.....

The '42 Kay (Underwood) is first up. Then comes the 1890's Bavarian (BassMax)

Many knobs.... must read manual.........

Did I say WOW?

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yup, and what kinda floors me is that I always hit the flat switch and never EQ. It's always sounds the best flat for some reason.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Just yesterday you posted that you ordered one and it's already there. Was it overnighted? Congrats!

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Great amp! I can't wait to run a DB through my 800. Tweaking the tone shaping section or running flat, it makes the porkchop sing.

9. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just checked on All Hail Bob's site and the iAmp 200 wasn't advertised. Just the 500 and 800 were listed. Has the 200 been pulled? Or is it only available in the combo now?

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

The iAmp200 is very much available as a separate head. If one has no desire to drive anything but the Wizzy cab, there is no practical purpose that I can see for ordering an iAmp500.

11. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I know the iAmp 200 was available as a separate head but I thought it strange that it is no longer advertised on Bob's site.

12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I never got around to listing the separate head, though I do sell it at the lowest EA price permitted, $745. I personally was never that enthused about it as a separate head given its low power output. The iAMP200 is only 200w at 4 ohms; for $150 more the iAMP500 is 500watts @ 4 Ohms & 2 Ohms, 350 watts @ 8 ohms.

13. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The price difference b/w the 200 and 500 is not that great but the weight increase is substantial.

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Well, to each his own. That's $150 for a gain of 4 dB. It really all depends what you're after. Given that I only wish to drive my Wizzy cab, the iAmp200 is plenty. In fact, the extra power provided by the iAmp500 would be a waste for me. Powered by the iAmp200, the Wizzy driver gives up LONG before the amp. Add to that the extra 5 lbs. of the iAmp500 and the choice was clear.

Of course, there are good reasons for many to have the iAmp500 rather than the iAmp200. My point is that more power for more $$$ is not always the better way to go even when it reduces your cost per watt. It depends on the rig and the intended usage. I suspect there is no real disagreement here.