Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA NL-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A few weeks back, I picked up two NL-210's to add to my obessive collection of bass cabs. Unfortunately, the past several weeks have been very un-condusive to actually playing bass and checking out new gear. But, I think I have enough mileage on one of these cabs to post my initial thoughts.

The first thing you notice about the NL-210 is that it is ridiculously light. It may look a lot like a CXL-210, but it's not much more than half the weight. Very nice. Sonically, I find that the NL-210 distinguishes itself somewhat from other EA 2x10's and from the CXL-112. In fact, in many ways it reminds me more of the Wizzy than of any other EA cab. It is more full sounding and warmer than the VL-210, CXL-210, or CXL-112, and not quite as crystal clear, though still quite clear and balanced sounding on the whole. My initial thoughts were that the NL-210 seems to fall somewhere between the "typical EA sound" and the sound of my Accugroove and ACME cabs. I will definitely have to do a revised 2x10 shootout soon!

At practice, I have been cycling through a number of cabs, so it is no surprise to my bandmates to see me show up with yet another cab. Usually, they just shake their heads and ignore me (though the ultra mini Walter Woods Ultra into Hevos Midget rig certainly got their attention!). However, they all took immediate notice of the NL-210 as soon as I fired it up. Positive remarks came from all. It has an authoritatitve presence that is full without being bloated, loud without being harsh, and clear without being edgy. What was hilarious is that my lead singer made the comment that when I played a note through this cab, the sound waves actually made him feel hungry, even though he had just eaten. My guitar player immediately agreed and said he was trying to describe the feeling that the bass notes were giving him, and said that it also made him feel hungry. Bizarre, I know, but I have to admit to a small amount of strange pride at being able to say, "my bass gear makes you hunger!" It's a strange thing to pluck a note and make someone hungry, but it was good for a laugh (and a power trip!). There's probably a slogan in here somewhere, but needless to say, the NL-210 was doing something to my bandmates gastrointestinal system that other gear failed to accomplish (and this is not playing all that loud).

More reports will come later, but so far, I am very impressed with this cab. It is a lightweight, very competent performer, and it presents a subtley different voice from EA. I anticipate that an NL-210/CXL-112 pairing will be quite complimentary.

Take care, Tom.

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Hmmmm......I've had my singer tell me that the sound from my rig makes him feel as though he has to take a "poop" but never that it makes him hungry....interesting and I thought that was a compliment :rollno:

Congtrats on yet another cabinet to your collection :)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just picked up one also. I've been using the CXL-112L for last two years, as Tom has said before it's by default a bit bass shy although it responds to eq'ing very well.

It feels lighter than the CXL-112L, although they're listed at the same weight (44 lbs).

My impression are the same as Toms - more natural bass response than the 112, not quite as much airy clarity on the high end.

I like.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think you boyz need to lighten up on the herb a little before band practice! :D

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tom, I interested to hear how two of them sound together...maybe soon?

6. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    :bassist: this is the thread i've been waiting to subscibe to :hyper:

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, hopefully very soon! I'm interested to hear how a NL-210/CXL-112 combo compares to two NL-210's (and to two VL-210's).

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey there Tom, have I missed the NL-210/AGTri210 comparison??

...interested in that one.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nope. The new and improved ultimate 2x10 shootout will continue!

The list of contenders now includes, EA VL-210B, EA CxL-210, EA NL-210, Accugroove Tri 210L, ACME Low B-2, and if I get it back from Marc in time, my custom Dr. Bass 2x10.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Tom,

Don't rush your opinion piece. Wait for the Dr Bass 210, so it can be included.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd like to, if possible. If not, I do have some extensive notes from when I first received the Dr. Bass cabs, and I could include those results (I did compare it to the VL-210 at that point in time).

12. Dang I'm hungry just reading about this cab.....
    Remember the cop in the scene from Up In Smoke... all the smoke billowing out Cheech's van .... Cop see's the hotdog on the dashboard.... "ah .. hey, you gonna eat that?" That scene just cracks me up. :D

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had a chance to briefly A/B two NL-210's to two VL-210's (one of them is a VL-210B). The first thing you notice when setting up these rigs is that the NL-210 is just stupid light! Very nice! Of course, the VL-210B has wheels, so they were easier to move around after I had set everything up... And yes, for this test at least, the VL-210 stack was slightly elevated (on said wheels), whereas the NL-210 stack was closer to the floor (though they do have fairly large rubber feet). Still, this was a good enough initial comparison to get the feel for the cabs. Amplification was via my Navigator, and I tried both my PLX 3002 and my Crest CA9. The only bass I used was my Thunderbird, but I have used both cabs with my 5-string, and I believe that the results below hold true for 5 as well as 4.

As for the sound, there is, indeed, some tonal familiarity, and the NL-210's do capture some of the smooth articulation of the VL-210's. However, I heard just as many differences as similarities. As noted before, the NL-210's are more full and round sounding (though again, still very clear), and the VL-210's are ultimately more precise and clear. I'm hearing more low-middle midrange out of the NL-210's, and more perceived upper mids and overall high end from the VL-210's. At the very highest frequencies, though, the NL-210 probably puts out a little more than the VL-210, but this may be due to slightly different attenuator settings (I had all tweeters set on 1/2, but the mids on the VL-210's all the way up - which is how I normally run them). While the NL-210's have a slightly more full low end overall, the VL-210's do go deeper, and have that hint of subterranean rumble that I don't seem to get with any other cabs (though the CxL-112 has some of this).

After trying the NL-210's for a while now, I am very impressed. The tone is warmer than I had been used to from EA (except for the Wizzy), and the sound is very full and rich, while still quite clear. The overall effect is very pleasing, and the NL-210 cannot be accused of being too "sharp" or "brittley clear." It sounds authoritative without offending on either sonic extreme (highs or lows), and sounds great as either a single cab or a double stack.

I will play around with these two setups a bit more, and will try the NL-210/CxL-112 setup as soon as I find time to unbury my CxL-112 (too many cabs, too small of a room!).

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Tom,
    I'm loving mine also. Much more natural low end than the CXL-112L, not quite as much of a mid hump as the 112 but still very articulate. I could always get the sound I wanted out of the 1-12 by eq'ing in more bass, but it's nice not to have to do it.
    The tweeter is smoother (or it could be the exact same tweeter, which just sounds smoother in this cab).
    And as you say, it's stupid light.