1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA Wizzy 12 and 12M-Line comparison

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JI99, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JI99

JI99 Guest

Jan 24, 2007
    Can someone describe the tonal difference(s) between the 12 and 12M-Line, thanks.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    J199
    Essentially, the difference would be that the lows comming of the
    M Line would be more pronounced, and have more depth especially onstage in close proximity to the cabinet. Of course, this sound tends falls of dramatically as you get further into the audience.
    So while the lows are a nice bonus, you also have to consider how
    if they contribute to the overall group sound, out in the house.
    In a small club, provided there isn't a lot of boominess, they can really
    fill out the sound of your bass. In an already boomy room they
    can create lots of problems. Just my opinion though.

Ric

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

That's it. More and deeper lows without boominess, IME. I use mine for a large room that leaves my AI sounding kind of thin.

4. JI99

JI99 Guest

Jan 24, 2007
    Thank you both. Does this difference work in the the same way for bass guitar as well as upright?

5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I own both and play upright and bass guitar. I prefer the Mline Wizzy for upright by a large margin. The regular one sounds ok, but nothing special. The Mline design seems to disperse the sound in a nice sounding way, whilst still remaining present. I guess it has more bass and it sounds softer to my ears, more flattering for the DB. I use it with the kick stand up to help angle it up. It's also loud enough for any big band gig where a smaller cab may struggle. It also sounds good for bass guitar. However I feel its well suited as a double bass cab and if it was only electric I would use something else. I guess I'm less willing to compromise on my upright tone than electric. The only thing I would change would be to magically make it smaller and lighter :)

The regular wizzy is lighter and smaller, but sounds much like any other decent bass cab. More mid and focused tone than the Mline . If I was doing a bass guitar rehearsal or quiet gig I would take the regular one. For me I want that midrange and focus in the sound when I play bass guitar, but not so much on upright.