Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ear Training

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  2. I'm very skeptical about the perfect pitch site. While absolute pitch is trainable in young children (ages 3-5), absolute pitch training in adults is a different beast, due to the way we've learned to hear. The "We Hear and Play" method has been taught in Germany and Japan for thirty years, with great success. Unfortunately, we're too old for it to have any effect.

To my knowledge there is no method that will teach absolute pitch to adults. The nearest thing I know of is Chris Aruffo's Ear Training Companion, which is made up of three games: Interval Loader, Chordfall, and Absolute Pitch blaster. All three games are valuable ear training tools, but Absolute pitch blaster is the one which is designed to teach absolute pitch. I say it's the nearest thing I know of because it's too soon to tell whether it actually will accomplish it's goal. It's the culmination of several years of research in the subject, and I'm pretty confident that it will work.

If you go to Chris's site you can read his research journal, and download a free demo of Ear Training Companion. One thing you may notice is that he doesn't make any attempt at all to disguise his method or shroud it in mystery. That's what makes me so distrustful of many perfect pitch training courses. Sure, they may say it's great, but they're a little sketchy about the details. And they're expensive. By way of contrast, ETC is a $30 download, with a free demo available, and thorough explanations about why it works abound. If you still have questions, Chris is very forthcoming. Just drop him an email.

I looked around for a little info on this course. Evidently his course consists of hearing and listening to tones gently, and one at a time. I don't know about you, but that's rarely the way I encounter notes in a real musical situation. I doubt his program is effective.

Do yourself a favor and give Chris's program a try. You can decide for yourself whether it works, with no investment but some time.

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Go to EarTrainer on the web and go through the entire thing. Your pitch will be happening if you get through it all. :)

4. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Yep. I purchased David Lucas Burge's Perfect Pitch SuperCourse and highly encourage its use.

There's plenty of work involved. The course doesn't just GIVE you anything - you earn it.

Do I have perfect pitch now? No. But I can honestly say that course was more valuable for my ear training than four years of ear training in college at both Indiana University and Ball State University.

If you have specific question, feel free to email me.

5. What does it give you if it didn't give you what it advertised?

EDIT: Or should I say, "What does it let you earn?"

6. Best ear training exercise possible, and it's free:

Go to the radio.

Have your bass plugged into some sort of amp.

Turn the radio on.

Try to play along with the song.

Randomly change stations and do your best to fit in with all styles.

7. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    My ear is stronger and closer to perfect pitch than ever before. Perhaps with additional studies of this course, I will get even closer.

I can honestly say that I found this purchase a worthwhile investment for me.