Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early 80 MM Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooch, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
  2. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    thats a beauty, i have no complaints about my 82 sabre

3. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Whoa I'm reading up on the MM, who owned them before Ernie Ball acquired them in March 84'?

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Um, it was Leo Fender's company before he sold it and moved on to G&L. Not sure if he sold it to EB or if there was another company in between.

5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't claim to be an expert on MM history. You could be entirely correct. If someone knows, jump in here....

6. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005

Link please, thanks.

7. I had one of the early MM Stingrays (I believe I bought it in 1977), and a much more recent EB Stingray (purchased around 1996 or so. I was very, very impressed at the quality, playability and sound of the EB Stingray. Even the new ones that I've played are for the most part great... good fretwork, great electronics. I personally don't see any advantage to the older, original ones over the EB or later models, in general. They are just great instruments all the way around.

8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm the same way. I owned a 1980 MM SR4, and while I really liked that instrument, I recently bought a 2004 EBMM SR4, and I like it better than the old one.