Early Chicago- Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, May 16, 2019.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    So I’ve been listening to the first four or five Chicago albums. Holy cow were they a talented band. It’s sad so many people hear the name Chicago and think only of their mid-80’s ballads, let alone Cetera as a bass player. Amazing musicians, bassist and band (especially in the early days).

IMMusicRulz, The Owl, B-Mac and 32 others like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Indeed.

IMMusicRulz, Rezdog and zon6c-f like this.
  3. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    The smell of money is strong, huh? George Benson used to be a proper jazz guitarist. I think Kenny G. might have always been pap.

4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs
    I look around me and I see it isn't so
    Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs
    And what's wrong with that... :)

5. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Touché

zon6c-f likes this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My band plays several pre 80's ballads tunes.

Winoman and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Band and Peter Cetera was one of the great bass players of the Era. I would also argue Terry Kath was as good as ANYONE on guitar in the early 70's.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Kenny Gorelick got his start with the Jeff Lorber Fusion. They were commercial, but solid musicians.

The Owl, B-Mac, bassbrad and 5 others like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You could write a book on Chicago and EWF.

burk48237, brocco, JRA and 10 others like this.
  10. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    I have loved the band Chicago since I was a kid,Peter Cetera is one of my favorite bassists,that guy and Terry Kath ruled.
    Listen to questions 67 and 68.im still trying to figure out the bass in the middle of the song,thanks for posting,Chicago fan big time here
    Dave

brocco, zon6c-f, braud357 and 5 others like this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Peter Cetera started out as a polka prodigy on accordion, before switching to guitar, then bass. He was extremely succesful as a rock bass player in HS. I think he picked up his jazz side from the bands he worked with. He didnt do the college big band schtick.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    If this implies that Cetera/Chicago or GB somehow 'sold out' when they decided to make a ton of money because they had the writing chops and talent to do so...I disagree.

If this suggests that when GB released material designed to sell a bit more so he could get some crossover bump for his live audiences he was less of a 'proper jazz guitarist' by doing so, I disagree.

If none of the above is accurate, please carry on.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. Nathan East cites Cetera as a bass influence.
    Wow, I wish I could sing like Peter!

14. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Danny Seraphine did on Chicago, "Street Player", read it, great stuff.

As it happens, a very close life long friend is the current bassist for Kenny Cetera's Chicago Experience. Lead by Peter's brother, who sang on 17 and toured with the band. My buddy and I are both huge Chicago fans, since high school, him following Peter, me Jimmy. He's been loving every minute of it, but has said some of the early stuff takes some real work to get down. And he's very accomplished himself.

JimK, Doctor Intrepid and Bassngtr like this.
  15. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II are 2 of my desert island albums. The songwriting and musicianship of both albums is off the charts. But when Terry Kath died, my interest in the band waned. One of the most soulful players and very underrated singer.

16. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    Several years ago a box set of 9 Chicago albums was marketed as Quadio. It contained the first ten Chicago albums minus #4. They were all in hi res stereo and surround sound. The sound quality, the surround sound and the packaging are all as good as it gets. I got it for $95 when it first came out but now it is a rare collectors item. The bass on the first albums is to die for. I'm A Man rattles the windows.

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Quadio-Disc-Blu-Ray-Audio/dp/B01EWGTEGS

JimK, tedsalt and mikewalker like this.
  17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I will admit that until a few months ago, I was one of those people. My only impression of them was cheeseball balladeers of the 80s with weird high pitched vocals. Recently, here on talkbass, somebody posted an old live video recording of them and my mind was blown. Another benefit of TB!

MonetBass and theretheyare like this.
  18. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    They were untouchable when I heard them live. Funny, Kath was playing a Gibson 335 that night. Awesome.

IMMusicRulz and JimK like this.
  19. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Introduction is one of my favorite bass songs ever. What an era for bass players. Cetera, Squire, Oakley... my favorites

Omega Monkey, JimK and s0707 like this.
  20. I admit I've become a big fan of a YouTube channel that is a group of Ukrainians doing tributes to early Chicago. Leonard and Friends.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021