Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earth Sound Research?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by =w=Bassist, Jun 10, 2004.

1. =w=Bassist

=w=Bassist

May 22, 2004
    At my Local music store they have this raggedy lookin stuffed faux leather amp
    its called the earth sound research b-2000 i'm considering buying it and was wonering your opinion (if you've even ever heard of them)
    i don't need it as my orange stack is working fine, i just want somthing to drag around to practices so if it falls out of the back ouf my truck as my last setup did (poor SVT 410 :bawl: ) and break.
    its only $250 for a 200 watt head w/ a 1x15 its just really old and don't know if it'd be worth it.

Thanks
    ~=w=~

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I borrowed one from a friend waaaay back when (70's) I used it several months before I was able to buy my own bass amp. The one I played was I believe 150 watts into a 15 combo. Looked and sounded just like a peavey right down to the silver strips on the sides. I think they have since gone out of business.

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Yes, I saw them at Namm back in the day....probably early 80's. They weren't spending anything on new products then, just riding it into the ground collecting what they could.

And yes, I think they used Peavey as their R&D, but made the units a little cheaper. Not dissing them, as far as I know they worked fine, but were not notably impressive.

4. I love the Superbass B2000. I think your talking about the tube model, right? Copy of a Bassman 100. It's got (4) 6L6GC's, so it's only 100 Watts. The "2" in 2000 refers to the 2 channels - Regular and Super. I've rebuilt a couple for folks and they love them. They're the perfect cheap tube head that you can use as a workhorse and you don't have to worry about them falling out of the back of a truck, like you said. For $250 with a cabinet, I'd go for it. Best thing to do is get the power supply capacitors replaced, and possible retube it if need be. So for another $100 it'll last another 30 years!

Plus you can't beat the fine Corinthian Pleather! Just like a beauty shop chair from the 70's. Now that's class. :D

Chris

5. =w=Bassist

=w=Bassist

May 22, 2004
    thanks guys
    i get my paycheck today and i'm probably gonna go get it
    thanks againg

~=w=~

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  7. jbass67

jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    buy it quick by all means. it's 100w like throbbinnut said but it's very loud & has great bottom. i got mine 3 years ago for
    $35 which was a bargain since all i had to do was put a power cord on & retube it. a little nauga cleaner on it & she's a beauty!!

8. xylem

xylem

Jun 28, 2005
    Germany Bodensee
    These Earth Sound Research amps were very awesome and about the closest thing to competition with Marschall Stacks back in the late 1960´s and early 70´s. Led Zeppelin used them for guitar as well as bass on their 1969 North America Tour ( I saw them in Vancouver, B.C. Canada). I have no ideas were this custum plush leather look comes from, but it was (and still is) a very impressive piece of art. I bought a
    B-2000 Bass Amp back in 1973 and I still have it built up & running in the practice room as well as taking it on gigs. I had the amp retubed and serviced about 5 years ago (this cost a fortune and I could have bought a new tube amp for the dough). The head is 100 Watt and the matching cab has 2 x 15" bass speakers. Even after 32 years, this Earth is just unbeatable. It would be interesting to know, why Earth Sound Research disapeared to ablivion. The dinasours that have overlived and still pumping are evidence of a great research field out of sound history. Long live Rock & Roll ( and take my Earth equipment along).