1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easiest bass lines ever

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by foq1978, Dec 3, 2009.

1. blink 182- what's my age again

also the first song I ever learned

2. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Hey, even I've played this one on a gig!

Really? Do you think so? Easiest?

I've played that one too....

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My girlfriend doesn't play bass. She's not a musician. I just taught her Green Day's Brain Stew. She also played Beastie Boys Fight for Your Right at a gig once. I don't think she's held a bass guitar in her hands for more than two hours in her lifetime. I don't think it gets easier than those 2.

4. Either way, it's a great song (on an even better album) :)

5. CDRhom

CDRhom William Murderface's Bass Tech Gold Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    So Whatcha Want by the Beastie Boys. Boring, but simple enough to build confidence in almost any beginner.

6. chux

chux

Jul 20, 2007
    Dublin,Ireland
    Anything by U2.

7. I'm Not In Love - 10cc.

8. tribus

tribus

Nov 12, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    black sabbath by black sabbath.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento California
    "Close to the Edge" by Yes.

(sorry.......couldn't resist)

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Anything by AC/DC.

11. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Kiss-Prince

12. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento California
    Anything "country".

Those bass lines are so elementary-school simplistic that you can even play them backwards with ease (but be warned......if you play them backwards, you'll get your girl back, you'll get your truck back, and you'll get your dog back). Depending on your circumstances, you may or may not want some of those events to happen.

13. BlackMetalAkaz

BlackMetalAkaz

Jun 18, 2009
    You sir, are a genius.

14. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Wow. Can't believe no one mentioned Genesis' "Turn it On Again". It marked the end of the good Genesis, and it's reeeeally easy. It's a 3 note song, for god's sake.

15. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    One of my faves is Talking Heads' "Once In A Lifetime". Great groove, only two notes.

16. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    a similiar forum(s) is posted in the tab section. the easiest songs ever, good songs for beginners, etc. check there for more songs. but i'd say any R.E.M. song is easy, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins, i could go on. favorites though would be the offspring - the kids aren't alright, bush - glycerine, the animals - the house of the rising sun, and pink floyd - another brick in the wall pt 2

17. godsmack -whatever

18. que-ever

que-ever

Oct 21, 2006
    probably something by the white stripes.

19. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    all the small things-blink 182
    blitzkreig bop-ramones
    smells like teen spirit-Nirvana

20. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    somebody mentioned "creep" and "say it ain't so" a few pages ago. I have to disagree. While neither are hard, they are both lines that force you to pay attention to rhythm. A lot of people seem to be forgetting how crucial rhythm is. For a lot of people, learning to effectively play rhythmically is something that happens years and years after they learn to play melodically. I've seen more bands than I can count attempt to cover "Say it Ain't So", but I've heard very few amateur bass players that gave that line the nuanced attention it requires. Similarly, "Creep" is not a song that I'd trust a beginner to play in a band.

Anybody can remember a sequence of notes, but it takes skill to do complex rhythms. For that reason, any pop punk song with no rhythmic variation, regardless of how many chord changes it has, is probably the easiest thing a person could play.