Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Easiest Police songs to sing.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey there

Anyone sugest the easiest song by The Police to sing.We are getting more pub gigs and need good covers and who doesn'y like the Police.Doesn't necessarily have to be a famous song.Cheers!

Mike

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Assuming your vocalist has a decent high register range, Walking on the Moon is a fairly simple song.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My personal favorite is "So Lonely", but undoubtfully the most popular Police song is "Every Breath You Take", which I like a lot too. The first one is difficult because of the register, but the chorus is a crowd pleaser.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    "message in a bottle", "spirits in the material world",

"driven to tears" is great... it goes over well and not quite so over done.

5. Next to you, Can't stand losing you, etc. Simple, easy, punk-esque.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    (you made me pull out all my Police/Sting stuff :bassist: )

Secret Journey is another cool one without too much of a vocal stretch.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And, of course, you must play "Da Doo Doo Doo" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me."

8. Get your Police albums out, sing along and figure out which ones suit you. :)

9. "mother" from synchronicity

hehehe...

actually "Can't Stand Losing You" is fairly easy and is a cool song. i really like "peanuts", "Driven To Tears" and "Shadows in the rain". They aren't too bad if you have a moderately high voice.

10. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    Murder By Numbers is pretty easy to sing, as is When The World Is Running Down.

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Done for the former!Soo much fun.And thanks everyone so far for helping.Keep them comin

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Are you kidding me?! I can't play Message In a Bottle with the right groove to save my life, and Spirits In the Material World is downrigh inhuman. That's some scary stuff to try to sing over.

As for me, my personal favorite Police song is I Burn for You - not exactly a show stopper, but it just sounds so nice! Hmmm.... I think Burnt Infant needs to cover that one...

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    You don't want to hear my drunkin tone deafness voice, but I've been known to grab the mic on "Message in a bottle" LATE in last set.... maybe it's the decades of jamming it, not to difficult for me.

but OK, Spirits' verse is a train wreck 100x over to get right. Once you internalize the bass line, the vocal part is pretty straight... not quite inhuman, but yeah, scary stuff to sing

"Driven to Tears" is still my fav... similar train wreck as Spirits but not as bad.

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Phew! For a second there, I thought I was going to have to start up a James Hart worship thread. Now I can go back to my comfortable existence knowing that only Sting can do those parts right.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Noone mentioned "When The world is Running Down..."?! You should all be shot! :bassist:

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

17. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    +1

It's my theme song.......

18. it's pretty difficult to sing. well, at least for a baritone like me.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You try it in my tuning.

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Ok, after reading the last few posts, I think we should all re-read the thread starter. The dude is looking for an EASY Police song to sing! :rolleyes: sheesh.