1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easiest way to remove (most) scratches from clear coat?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by louloomis, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi. I have a bass with a pretty decent amount of scratches that are not very deep. I'd like to try to remove most of them if at all possible.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this easily (i.e. slowly and carefully)? I don't want to take it to a luthier because I think it will be a lot more expensive than the amount of money I have in the bass already. The results don't have to be perfect (i.e. all scratches removed), but I would like to try to improve it.

Thanks in advance.

LL

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. In the past I have used compound products by Meguiars on quite a few basses.

There are plenty of products of this type on the market.

It just takes a lot of hand rubbing using increasingly fine 'abrasives'.

3. +1

Meguiar's #7 is my favorite "one step" for light scratches.

Works great on my cars too. :thumbsup:

DiabolusInMusic and Warhawk like this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yep, if its a poly clear, any auto polish will work perfectly.

DiabolusInMusic and Warhawk like this.
  5. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    Yep, auto polish. I really like Meguiars products.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Best: 3M Finesse-It II #39003 Machine Polish. Stuff stays usable in the bottle for years, too.

Riis

DiabolusInMusic and Pilgrim like this.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I vote this way also. I have used it for polishing out roughness on a couple of instruments, and for final buff on a lacquer repaint. I bought a soft buffing wheel at ACE Hardware with a shaft that would chuck up in my 3/8" VSR drill, and used it to buff out the rough areas with much less hand-work.

NOTE: if you do that, remember that a spinning buffing wheel will throw polish all over....wear eye protection, don't do this in your living room, and don't wear your best clothes while doing it.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Zooberwerx and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Another satisfied Meguir's user (on both nitro and poly.)

On, and +1 to all the above.