Eastwood Newport (EB-S)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Sep 24, 2018.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

2. To me personally, yes. I played one ('65 or '66) last year after decades of not even thinking about this model, and it was just amazing.

Modern bridge and lack of a *real* Sidewinder PU kill any interest that I might have had in the Eastwood, though. By the time I'd be done with the hacking it would come dangerously close to the price of a less-than-mint original Epi.

My $0.02 only...

3. B-Mac

Can you explain the lack of a 'real sidewinder pickup' please?

4. The one wound to original specs. No one does it anymore - Gibson included - so I'm not trashing Eastwood, just stating a fact.

5. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that does absolutely nothing for me.

6. B-Mac

Did the original one do anything for you?

Just asking as I don't know anything about the original Newport and was wondering why Eastwood picked it.

7. B-Mac

Just wound different? Brighter? Mellower? Cleaner? Muddier?

8. Just wound to the original specs - or close to them - would be fine by me. I can make it brighter/mellower/cleaner/muddier as needed.

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nope

10. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    The original was built as the cheaper Epiphone version of the Gibson EB-0, and in fact was built in the Kalamazoo factory alongside the EB-0. The sound was comparable as they were made from the same wood and had that same humbucker pickup at the neck. Ebay has the original 1965 Newport that the Eastwood is based upon going for $2000 and up. If you are a fan of the short scale tone and feel, and if you happen to like the modern Epiphone SG and Gibson SG Bass then this is one to check out. I already have one on preorder.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    In the subject of the pickup, I believe they are using the same pickup they used on the Eastwood EB-1 on the Newport. The pickup is really nice and clean on the EB-1 and if I had to speculate what it will sound like on the Newport I will guess it will sound a bit beefier but will retain some of the mid range clarity. I don't think you will get the "mudbucking" sound of the original, but I think it will be cleaner. more versatile and practical than the original.

B-Mac likes this.
  12. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Get one of these and the reissue EPI Deluxe and you are set.

13. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh

Have you received the Eastwood Newport? I am really curious about this bass

14. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    They received the finished first run last week and they are doing the final detail work right now. I will post an update when I get my shopping confirmation but I expect mine this week.

B-Mac likes this.
  15. B-Mac

When you get it and play it please mention it here too, please. :bassist:
    The Official Eastwood Bass Club

16. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    I will, and I will post pics and a review as well.

B-Mac likes this.
  17. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    I received an email last night that I can expect the Eastwood Newport Bass tomorrow. I am not excited at all. I may need to take a sick day on Friday. Nope, not excited.

B-Mac likes this.
  18. B-Mac

Anticipation can wear you out!

19. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    FB_IMG_1555159463114.jpg FB_IMG_1555159447528.jpg It is in and it is wonderful. I will set to work on a proper review when I get through the weekend gig.

20. How is the balance?
    You're consistent with short scale basses. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022