1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ebay scam or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I sold a high price item on ebay and the buyer sent me this message.

"hi
    i am buying this for a friend in sweden, i was gonna ask you if you can send the invoice to her paypal. the shipping will be to me in los angeles. i am just trying to help her, becouse some stuff she cant bid on. its nothing funny, you can check my fedback to make shure. i am just trying to make things easeyer. please mail me back if its ok."

He had 77 positive feedback, i dont know anything about "her" credentials.

What do you guys think?

2. Scam.

3. Invoice and ship only to the confirmed address of the buyer. Otherwise you have no Ebay protection....read their policies! And proceed VERY carefully...this is a scam attempt. If they don't cooperate, cancel and report them.

If this is legit he must pay and you ship to him. He and she can get their own accounts settled.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    Otherwise no deal.

5. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    Sounds hinky to me.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Sounds fake, and the spelling concerns me. But i'm probably just a perfectionist with spelling....

This is a scam either way. Deal with the buyer directly not some "friend" and that positive feedback could have came from other accounts the guy or his friends made.

7. It may or may not be a scam but like they said, it puts you in a really bad position if it goes sour. I wouldn't ever do paypal for a big ticket item on ebay, even if it was all looking legit. Paypal/ebay just want your money and let scamming go on left and right.

8. Hi.

Regardless of whether it's a scam or not, why risk it? Possible negative feedback?

Asking to go against the rules is a clear indication that something ain't right though.

To me anyway.

I don't have an e-bay account, nor do I have a PayPay account. If I spot something nice on e-bay, I do occasionally use my friend who does and he deals with the seller directly, the seller probably doesn't even know my friend isn't the "real" buyer, and why should she/he know that?

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

9. If it's legit, she should be able to paypal the money to the guy who won it, so that he could pay via paypal to you.

10. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Major scam. Original address of PayPal only. Common fraud. Bad karma.

11. ^^That is all you need to know.

12. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Yea, I told the guy if he cant pay from his paypal address and ship to a confirmed paypal address, no deal.

But how does it work? He gets the item, and she claims she never got anything, filing a claim with paypal?

Also, since the guy has a pretty good feedback record, and seems to specialize in buying and selling mid century modern furniture (what i sold), how does that play into it? Does someone really make an account and accrue good feedback for 5 years to scam?

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If he won the bid with his eBay account, he is the one responsible to pay for it, and you are obligated to ship to the confirmed address connected with his account. End of story.

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I would cancel the deal and notify eBay immediately. During the transaction did the customer at any time say that the item was going to Sweden ? There's a link where a buyer can ask a question or questions. I'm thinking none were asked prior to the sale.