Ebay score, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletch, Jul 8, 2005.

1. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    not bad! good looking amp! i think its just got a tube in the preamp,its not all tube, maybe im wrong. good luck with it!! :bassist:
  2. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I use this head....

until I get my other head back from da shop. I'm using it in 2 bands with 2 cab arrangements;

1. 410 and 115
    2. mutant fender 118 plus 210 cab

handles both of 'em both pretty nicely. good low end response the arrangement of ins and outs on the back make for good tone options.

I wasn't a big fan of the stock preamp tube (1 single 12ax7 - Ruby I believe), a quick swap to an old Telefunken made a big difference in mine. you'll have to cut it out of the silicone...

Very solid amp, mine has lasted through 10 years of gigging.

If I had seen that auction, I would have paid more than you did...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice score!

I'm not so sure I would feel good about feeding 300 watts into two 810's, as the item description claims.

4. Thanks for the replies guys.

SubMonkey can you describe the sound? What does it compare to?

As far as speakers go I'm toying with getting one of these
    and/or putting it in my old Sunn combo with a new 4 ohm 15 driver and getting a 210 ext.
  5. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    well, let's be clear, this is a 90's amp and has a bit of that vibe... that said, it's surprisingly versatile....

the preamp stage is switchable between fet and tube operation.... fet side is pretty crisp, the tube side is surprisingly dependent on the single valve in the system. EQ section is a 4 band rather than the usual three. so you get a bit of extra control there... the limiter is a little overrated, but functional. The big thing I like about this head is the blendable effects loop, not too common... Lots of good stuff you can do with that (you can run another preamp in and blend them for xtra goodness :) )

All in all it wont get as crisp as a GK, or as pleasingly dirty as an SVT but I can get a LOT of useful tones out of mine.

As far as what it compares to... there's a tough one... I recently re-connected with a guitar player I worked with about 5 years ago, within the first 5 sentences of our conversation he asked ,"You still using that TubeWorks rig ?" I told him I still was... He replies ,"Right on, I played some of our old recordings for my last bass player to show him the sound I was looking for.... he never nailed it..." ;)

_IF_ you decide that this head isn't for you, please PM me... I'd love to get another.