Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay / Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-monkey, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What lawsuit?

2. beats me, thats what i was asking... did it happen or is this a poor marketing ploy coming from the seller? ive thought about it more and all i can come up with is that its got a wenge neck and the new ones dont... is that what hes talking about?

3. I have asked the Seller what "lawsuit" he is talking about and I will let you know if and when I get a reply. :)

4. Spectors are similar in shape to Streamers, & I seem to recall hearing that Stuart S. designed the Streamer. As far as lawsuits, I think the seller is trippin', & hoping you are too.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ned Steinberger designed that shape that Stuart Spector used - therefore it's the NS shape.
    Then HPW started making basses in that shape, and SS sued him, resulting in Warwick paying royalty fees for each Streamer - up until Kramer bought Spector.
    With the Thumb, there was no lawsuit that I know of.
    However, it does look like one of the old ones: it's got the one-piece Schaller bridge, EMGs, dots and 26-fret neck. I think that was in production from 87 to 90, but I could be wrong on that.
    Anyway, that must be a killer bass.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Looks like a normal thumb body to me so I don't know what this guy is talking about. Although I've never seen a thumb with that type of bridge. How accurate is that?

7. +1.

I'll be interested to see if he replies and, assuming that he does, what he has to say for himself. Watch this space. :meh: :meh:

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The guy could be wrong about the neck material, which could make it a little more legit. But if it is indeed ovankol, then it's a fake.

As Frank Martin said, the lawsuit was related to the Streamer, not the Thumb. Lawsuit is a popular term to raise the price of something, i.e. lawsuit Ibanez Les Pauls, or Lawsuit Fernandes Strats.

I'd ask for additional pictures, as well as serial number. The serial number will identify the year, and it's difficult to fake. Especially on a neck-thru since it's extremely difficult to switch the neck.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm just curious about the reason why he says the body shape was discontinued. Also like i said, the bridge as well.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What, he wrote Ovangkol? :rollno:
    That surely looks like wenge. And the old ones (as I said, bridge, EMGs, dots, 26-fret-neck) all had wenge necks, except for the custom ones.
    It sounds like to me the seller doesn't actually know what he's selling, he's most probably not the original owner. Ovangkol must've come from the W site, as the new ones have ovangkol necks.

As for the serial number, it is indeed very important, though this definately looks real

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I already said the early Warwicks had one-piece Schaller bridges. Except for the Nobby Meidel, of course ;)
    Also, the old shape differed a little bit from the new. Now it's smaller, the rear rounding is a bit different, as are the horns, but it certainly wasn't because of a lawsuit.

12. yeah, i bet its damn hard to switch the neck on a Thumb N/t! :D

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know about the NS lawsuit but that doesnt ahve anything to do with the thumbs...?

14. This guy may or may not have a nice Warwick, but doesn't know ovangkol from wenge. Yes?

15. It's definitely not a fake, I've seen a Thumb like this somewhere before, with the 1 piece bridge, and the countersunk tuners on the head-stock.

16. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    it was made before Gibson's lawsuit against PRS or Roland's suit against Behringer :D

17. The PICTURE is of a bass that is not fake. Beyond that, I'm not even sure I'm for real. Seems to have fairly good feedback, though.

18. the same model thumb, appears in jon entwistles bass book twice, it is described as the warwick "try it out" bass, one of the basses in the picture the fretted model features the "thumb bass" name on the truss rod cover, however has a horizontal jazz pickup and an angled one, the other bass in the book is an early thumb fretless model, no name appears on the truss rod cover, it has countersunk tuners, one piece bridge and the two angled jazz pickups, it also has front fret markers, the body also looks alot fatter a more rounded body, compared to the smaller thumbs today, maybe the ebay auction is for a really rare warwick as it matches the one in the jon entwistle book!

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I wonder why people don't read what others have posted before :rolleyes: : few posts later they repeat what's already been said.