Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay's done it again!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Feb 15, 2005.

1. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Well, it's got "amazing" written on the body, so it's gotta be...uh... amazing! I "wish" I could "bid" on that "amazing" "bass". :bassist:

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    There's a lot of distance between $170 and $10K!

Actually, looking at it, I believe that could be a 60s bass. I was, more or less, there at the time. Like an Eko or Framus or something.

3. more or less... that's great.. . :D

i've seen some funky things too, but the photo of closeup of the tuners themselves looks more like an early 80's design.. i could be WAAAAAAAY off however. :bag:

4. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Quick follow up:

Amazing was out of Toronto, not Germany. Now defunct. I don't have any idea whether they were building in the 60s or not.

5. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Actually, I don't really remember any 5 strings from that era, either. Not that it's impossible.

I think I've now spent too much time on this! :)

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If that isn't from the 80's, I'll eat my hat!
    The color, features, style are totally mid-late 80's and no one can tell me otherwise.

But hey, read ebay rules: "Caveat Emptor: Buyer beware!"

I'd totally rock that bass too! Dude, it's AMAZING!!!

7. if nothin else, if you are up s**t creek at a bad gig, at least you remembered to bring a paddle!!! :D

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That has got to be a 80's guitar!! AAAHHH is that a night mare fo a bass!! :eek:

10. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    "excellent" condition? :scowl:
    [​IMG]

11. Gotta be 80's. 5 strings, bright red (pink?) finish, headless? Come on! Of course, the price is right (under 200$ so far) so who's to complain. Although I have no intention of buying it since it's not exactly my favorite body style (or color or anything else really).

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What gives me nightmares are the tapered-end strings going over the nut. In order to not buzz, you'd have to cut a new nut each time you changed string brands, since the diameter passing over the nut would vary.

It also looks like the G string is awfully close to the edge of the FB, but it could just be the picture.

The neck is black, front and back-- I wonder whether it's graphite.

I like the allen-head bolts for the neck. Another could-be-graphite indication.

I kind of like the design, for an 80s geometry bass.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Almost tempted to bid on it just to examine it closely.... But, I dig boat paddle basses....

14. It's definitely 1980's the bridge is way too high tech to be 60's, as are the tuners.

Did you check out the strings? They're TAPERED...between the nut and first fret!!!...there's NO WAY this thing "plays great". The intonation would be WAY OFF!

YUK! YUK! YUK!

15. It's wierd. I kinda think it's ungly, but I kinda want to buy it too... :confused:

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Not only is it AMAZING, I heard from an informed scource that this is a product of the famed luther "DANA" (you know the guy who makes 10K
    Westones) from one of his earlier jobs when he did all the active pre amp work on Paul McCarthys Hofners. For an extra 5K he'll come to your house and set it up!!!

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    definitely an 80's canadian bacon lettuce and tomato there.
    mostly tomato.

18. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Wow, good eyes!