1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eberhard Weber had a stroke

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by damonsmith, Aug 22, 2007.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    From the ECM site:

August 17 , 2007

Eberhard Weber

As many of our listeners will be aware, Eberhard Weber suffered a stroke in April which forced him to cancel his involvement in the extensive European tour of the Jan Garbarek group. We are pleased to report that his rehabilitation is progressing well. He is already sketching new episodes to be included in future performances of his project “Stages of a Long Journey” which was given its premiere at the Theaterhaus Stuttgart on the bassist’s 65. birthday in March 2005 and released on CD this April (ECM 1920). The imposing suite that brought together a plethora of distinguished musicians including Jan Garbarek, Gary Burton, Rainer Brüninghaus, Marilyn Mazur and the SWR Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Roland Kluttig has received widespread critical acclaim. “Stages Of A Long Journey is a document of a journey through jazz by a remarkable musician who is widely regarded as emancipating the bass from its time keeping role and opening up new dimensions for the instrument in a melody carrying role”, writes Stuart Nicholson in Jazzwise while Ray Comiskey, in the Irish Times, is delighted by “an indeterminate and successful mix on the amorphous edges of jazz and classical music.”
    Performances of “Stages of a Long Journey” are now being projected in several European cities in 2008.

A recent interview with Eberhard Weber, discussing "Stages Of A Long Journey" can be heard here:
    www.thejazzsession.com

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    He did? I didn't know.
    He's one of my favourite bass players ever since I saw him with the Garbareg group in '97.
    I hope he'll be fully recovered and making music for a long time still.

3. Basso Musico

Basso Musico

Mar 10, 2006
    Boston, MA USA
    Former Endorsing Artist: AlterEGO instruments
    I have been hearing about this for some time and have tried to be skeptical about it, like maybe it's just rumor. I have loved his playing for years and years, for more than half my life. And his writing is incredible. I'm happy to say that - as far as I can tell - I have released the only version of Colours of Chloe that he isn't on, which is more a testament to my fan-dom than it is a matter of pride.
    Here's hoping that Eberhard will heal quickly.
    Rick McLaughlin

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    My fav musician - I was not aware - thanks for the update!