1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Sterling/OLP conundrum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papazita, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    So the release of the Sterling by Ernie Ball series means the demise of the OLP licensed Stingray copies, right? What about the Tony Levin signature model OLP basses? Will they continue to be made by either company? Or dropped entirely?
    Just wondering...

I've wanted a TL bass since they were first introduced, but just never got around to it. I guess I waited too long. :(

2. The OLPs are no longer being produced. I forget the kill date, but it's been a number of months ago.

Mike

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The OLP license was not renewed by EBMM. So OLP is essentially out of the EBMM clone business. Unless the license is renewed by EBMM -- which it most likely won't be now that they have the SBMM line -- OLP is essentially dead.

The Sterling by MusicMan line is EBMM's new, lower-cost instrument line. It takes the place of OLP.

Try eBay for a TL OLP. They pop up regularly. But act fast because there are only so many of them out there for sale and no new ones are being made.

4. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    olptonylevin.

2003_0108Misc0069.

drooling_homer.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I hope the "Sterlings" are better than the OLPs I've played - I was less than impressed with the quality of the few I saw at GC a few years back...

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    To clarify, I know that the OLP copies are no longer in production; but what was the fate of the TL sig? Will it be picked up by EBMM, as a Sterling by Ernie Ball model? Or a regular Ernie Ball model? Or is it dead completely?

7. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Much like today's Fenders, you had to play every OLP in stock to find the good ones. A found several that knocked me out, and a few that would have made good firewood.

8. Ah. I misunderstood. I'm not sure anyone has a solid answer on that but I suspect the lack of a TL bass in the new lineup is an indication.

Mike

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Not sure I understand the confusion here. OLP lost its license to produce EBMM clones. The TL bass is an OLP bass, so it will go away just like the other OLPs. These are not EBMM basses and never were. They were licensed clones. Why would EBMM want to keep the TL model?

10. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    The Tony Levin model was designed by EBMM to Tony's specs. Also per Tony's specs, production rights were given to OLP. Tony wanted the bass to be affordable not just for musicians, but for all of his fans. Slapping a $2000+ pricetag on it, a la the Eddie Van Halen guitar, would have put it out of the reach of many of TL's fans.
    So no, it was never made by EBMM, but it is their design. I'm sure Fender retains the right to pull a successful Squier model and start producing it themselves; why would this be any different?
    In keeping with Tony's affordability requirement, it would make sense that, should the TL sig model be continued, it would be included in the Sterling by Ernie Ball line.

The question was, is this going to happen?

I don't understand what you find confusing here, frankly.

11. agplate

agplate Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    I would confidently guess that the TL's are no more. Also, some on Ebay recently were billed as "last ones". They were selling for great prices lately too. Less than I paid for the very first one.

12. how much did the OLP's cost anyway?? i thought they costed around 2-$300.so if that's the case,then i'm guessing that since the sterling's cost 5-$600,they will be much better than the OLP line.i posted a video of a guy testing out an SB14? sorry don't remember the exact model name.but it's the sterling copy.look it up if you wanna check it out,it sounded pretty good

13. agplate

agplate Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    When the TL's first came out, street price was about $350. Last ones I saw on Ebay were around $269. Great deal if you can get one. From what I've heard so far, the new SBMM's have nothing in common with the OLP's and are said to be top notch tone and build. I'm very excited to try one asap.

14. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    You're asking the wrong forum. Sterling Ball(Owner/Ceo of Ernie Ball Music Man) hangs out at the official ernie ball forum.

He's the only one that will be able to answer your question.

15. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    are you sure you guys arent talking about the ebmm SUB? the sterlings are just as much as a regular ones.

16. Davecg2

Davecg2

Sep 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    theyre talking about Sterling By Music Man, its the new korean made EBMM licensed Stingray/Sterling knockoffs. And from what ive read so far i havent hear danything about a Tony Levin Model. Ive only seen info on the Stingray AKA RAY34, Sterling AKA SB14, and the Stingray5 AKA RAY35. Sterling Ball has said these guitars will have the same quality materials as the MIA just manufactured and assembled in Korea. As for the Tony Levin model I'm guessing it will depend on how popular the RAY35 ends up being, if its a hit they will probably consider a TL model, if not they probably wont. Like someone said early you can always check out the offical EBMM forums and ask Sterling himself, he posts on there fairly regularly.

17. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    im down for bongo they play nice and not too hefty, but IMO the ray has better tone

18. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    They should license the SX Stingray that they booted out of the country. I heard those SX rays were much better than the OLP ones (and cheaper)

My first complaint of any OLP ray I picked up was that the pickguards felt like they were made out of paper or something. I can tap it and watch the thing bend on me.

19. Davecg2

Davecg2

Sep 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    I have an OLP MM22 Stingray and i love the thing, it sounds great. That said i did have a problem with the A and D string tuner bevels working their way out for some reason, but once i fixed that its been a pretty solid bass and Ive gotten a lot of compliments on its tone.

l_d4c6451dc5884afc9b6eabf1d8af357b.

20. There's a Tony Levin OLP listed on eBay right now.