1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Sterling Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shake-n-bake, Oct 5, 2013.

1. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    I picked up an EBMM Sterling from a guy on Craigslist today. He told me that the person he bought it from claimed to be a roadie for Rush, and this bass was designed for Geddy Lee. Geddy apparently didn't like the bass, so he gave it to the roadie.

Do you think that sounds legit?

I also searched the internet for this bass with the same finish, but I can't seem to find it. Can anybody tell me what the finish is called. It's a deep reddish brown burst - not sure if the picture will do it justice.

If it is a unique finish, then maybe it was made specifically for Geddy?

Attached Files:

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    sounds like a good story to help sell a bass, but a bit superfluous as they are already great basses to begin with. as long as you didn't pay a premium for the supposed Geddy ties, it looks like a good score. congrats on the new bass.

3. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    No, he didn't use that story to help sell it or increase the price. He just mentioned it to me when we met up.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    whether or not it's true, sterling's are still great basses. if it could be confirmed, you'd have a cool bass with an even cooler backstory.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The lighting in the picture is very dark so it's hard to tell that it's anything other than black, but it looks like it could be Black Cherry Burst.

As for the Geddy Lee story, I doubt it.

6. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    my guess is u could go to the ebmm forum and there is a section to find out about serial numbers. if that was in fact specifically made for gl, I'm pretty sure they would know

7. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    when will geddy learn ...;)

sterlings are great. hope u got a fair price.

8. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    CAD $900 including OHSC. I think that's fair? Most of them that I have seen sell second hand for around USD $1000.

I think it is the black cherry burst - although the pictures of the black cherry on the MM website are quite a bit lighter than mine.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Don't even need to do that. Just go there and ask, "Was this sterling made for Geddy?, and I'm sure they'll let you know. Anyone who may have made a deal with him is active on that forum. Sterling himself will probably respond.

I'm gonna guess it ain't true, but only they would know....

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I tend to believe its retroburst but the pic is dark.

11. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    this picture may be better...

Attached Files:

• mm2.
      mm2.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
  12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There's nothing about this Sterling that makes it stand out especially from other Sterlings. EBMM does a lot of different colour schemes, so while this burst looks vaguely familiar to me, it might somehow be limited or special edition. Nothing else about this bass screams "custom built for Geddy" but then again it could be something like the electronics or the fretboard radius that wouldn't be super-visible in photos. Like everyone else is saying, ask at the EBMM forums, they *will* know the answer.

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's definitely Black Cherry Burst.