EBMM Stingray 5 HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance129, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Now, admittedly, I'm still a little confused about EBMM and SBMM basses and their names...

I've recently been considering purchasing a 5 string bass and love that gritty MM sound. I want the HH setup, so naturally I've been searching for an EBMM 5 HH configuration. But I can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere and it made me wonder if what I'm looking for even exists.

When I search "EBMM Stingray 5 HH" I get results that show what I thought was the EBMM Sterling body shape. I don't HATE the Sterlings, but I much prefer the width of Stingray necks, as well as the look (oval PG).

I've seen the bass setup I like in a 4 string config, but can't seem to find em in 5 string...
    Does it even exist? Or am I just not looking hard enough/in the right places?

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Uh, yeah, it exists. I have one. Doesn't have an oval pickguard, though.

3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Mine - no oval. IMG_3215.JPG

bmac314, Sumaru, V70R and 1 other person like this.
  4. I was considering the same bass, and was looking at both the bolt on neck and neck thru versions and seem to be readily available at many on line music stores. but as Matt said, they don't have the oval pick guard, but look quite handsome regardless !!!!!

Ikkir likes this.
  5. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    But that's just it: I DO want the Stingray body shape and oval pickguard and I was under the impression that what you posted/have is a EBMM Sterling.
    Is what you've posted a EBMM Stingray or EBMM Sterling?

6. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

The Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling 5 HH comes with an oval pickguard. But, it has a smaller body and more importantly, ceramic pickups instead of alnico. IOW, it sounds different.

TinIndian, osonu, Ikkir and 1 other person like this.
  7. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Difference in neck should not be a concern with the 5 string models. The EBMM Sterlings and Stingrays have different necks in the 4 strings, but they have the same specs for the necks in 5 strings.

TinIndian likes this.
  8. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3220.JPG
    Not a Sterling. My '90s StingRay 4 has an oval pg. the 5s all have the giant pg as shown.

9. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    You should look for a 5 string Classic Stingray. It will give you all of that gritty Stingray sound and it looks like a 4 string Ray with an extra string. The 2 band EQ is really huge sounding all around.

TinIndian and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nope, the 5 string necks are different too.
    The Sterling 5 is slightly thinner front-to -back, and the headstock is smaller and the G tuner is in a different spot.

11. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    So basically, the 5 string HH configuration looks the same as the 4 string Sterling, but has the neck and feel of the classic Stingray?

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No
    No, it doesnt have a neck like the Classic at all. The Classic has a gloss neck and its bigger.
    the USA Sterling 5HH will have the oval pickguard like the 4 string bass, and the neck will have the oil/wax finish.

13. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If you want the oval pickguard on the SR5 then you need to go with the Classic model, but that only comes with 1 pickup.

The only way to get a SR5 with an oval pickguard with two pickups is to take a Classic Stingray 5 and add a pickup.

Classic StingRay 5 | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man

The body, neck, and pickup are all definitely different from the Sterling.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Pre 2008 Stingray 5ers were like a Sterling but in 5 strings (thin neck profile, ceramic pickup, 3 way switch), just a different body and the teardrop pickguard. When they introduced the HS and HH versions they changed the pickups, now everything Stingray (4, 5 and Classic 5) come with alnico pickups, still the Stingray 5 (non Classic) comes with the thin neck profile, 3-way switch and teardrop pickguard. And they created the Sterling 5 (only 5er with ceramic PUs), which also has the thin neck profile. I know as I have 2 pre 2008 Stingray 5s and a Sterling 5 HS. I'm a ceramic guy, love the aggressive tones you can get out of old ceramic Stingray 5s and Sterlings, altho' current production Sterlings (either 4 or 5 string) are just a tad more hi-fi (sorta' thinner) sounding than old ceramic Stingray 5ers, still can be EQed to sound similar. Sterling 5 and Stingray 5 (non Classic) necks the same too.

A side note on HH vs. HS: if you want more of the usual single PU sound I suggest the HS over the HH. The HH has only one sound out of the neck PU soloed (parallel -or series in Sterłings-), while the HS has 2 (single and parallel - or series for Sterlings-). Also the single neck PU sounds way more pleasant as a sorta' P tone than a humbucker (neck PU on HHs can only work as a humbucker when soloed). You get no dummy coil on the HHs, therefore no single coil combinations are possible, that takes away a lot of flexibility IME.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    for me anyway, I love the oval P/G....add a 5th string and the P/G gets bloated?.....uggh..why EB? why?....IMHO YMMV etc etc

16. jakka1

jakka1

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    They do not make a SLO special 5 string. Feel free to post a pic of the headstock. If it doesn't say SLO special on the headstock then it is not a SLO Special. Not trying to be a jerk... I just do not think they exist. I own a SLO Special and yes it has the same width neck as a Sterling 4 string.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    I erased the post because I realized the error of my ways. My Slo Special is a 4 string, not a 5. I had my 5 string P bass on the brain when I wrote that.

jakka1 likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have always hated that big guard on the 5ers. They make some of the most amazing finishes and then cover up 80% of it with plastic.

19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I also don't care for the bevels on the horns. The Classic 5 looks best IMHO, but they all sound soooooo good!

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    If you want an oval pickguard on a Stingray 5 it can be had on a Classic series, but you can't get a Classic in HH config (cause' that didn't exist on the models the Classic series in emulating).