1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Stingray HH vs. Standard single H??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I personally think that the single humbucker models of the Ray look much better, but do the Double HH models have more warmth, or fatness?? I'v eheard that the single H is abit too bright, just wanted to see about it!:meh:

2. If I could have gotten the HH in left handed, I would have. So I just have the H, and it's still awesome.

3. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I'm an old school Fender guy who recently has been bitten by the MM bug so here's my take on one pup vs HH: To my taste the single MM pup is the "classic" Sting Ray tone. Of course, now there are a variety of pre amp configurations but I believe again the "classic" version is two band (you MM guys correct me on this if I'm off).

To my ears, yes, HH is "warmer." Its the laws of physics that having a second pickup closer to the neck is going to give you more bass response. But to my taste this quickly turns it into another two pup active bass. At that point, you can fiddle and get all the tones.

But if you want the classic "Sting Ray tone," to me, its one pup in the "sweet spot." Yeah, its a bit on the bright side. But kind of that's what the MM is about. The more sophisticated pre you get the better you will be able to control this also.

4. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Nice responses !!
    Any more?

Bump

5. These threads have been rather popular lately

6. toivo

toivo

May 15, 2009
    Poland
    Between H and HH my choice is HH because of sound variety.
    Maybe HS is the answer...

7. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    I have an HH 5-string. It has more tone variations, and a couple of those is just too good to consider not getting them IMO.

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I own both the H and HH version of the Sterling, and just for variety sake,I'd go with the HH.I can get a traditional MM tone,to something close to a P-bass with a flip of the switch. I just wish the single pickup selection were wired in parallel instead of series.But,for all practical purposes,it's close enough.If I had to have only one bass,it would be the HH.

9. I had a Stingray H 4 string for two years and it was my favourite bass to play and favourite sounding bass as well.
    I needed a 5 string so i got a HH Stingray 5 string. Wow!!
    The sound is even better and you have so much versatility with the 3 band EQ and the 5 position slider.
    I think you are on to a winner with either bass but my preference swings towards the HH.
    If you do runs on the d or g string on the H you can hear them fine but on the HH they stand out. the difference blew me away. I am now a different bass player.

10. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Yeah, they really have. But, it's another cheap opportunity to post pics of my Stingrays for no good reason. :D

twdavis13 - Yes, there is more versatility to the Stingray HH. However, I find that my 2-band eq Stingray H is plenty warm and sounds wonderful. You can't go wrong either way, but if you decide on a single H, I'd suggest a 2-band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    HS if you want warmth. IMO.

12. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    When I tested them out at GC, I was not able to tell the difference between the single H and the HH with only the rear pickup selected.

13. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

You shouldn't be able to, as they are identical. Throw a 2-band EQ single H into the mix, and that's another story.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I would have gone 2-band eq but i like having the mids control. Single pup is all i need! No switches or anything. simple.

15. Personally, even though Ive not had as much time on the HH, id only go for the H or HS. I find the HH difficult to slap on, and not 'quite' the perfect classic Stingray tone. It is...but for some reason, if you want the Stingray classic tone, get the H. If you want more versatility, get the HH.

Both really good though :)

16. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

+1

17. The H is wonderful, and you can still get many sounds with the toggle on the 5 (parallel, series, etc)

The HH though...Beast. So tonally versatile. Im in love with mine.

I can't speak to the HS. But it's a music-man...I'm sure its great.

Best,
    Tempest Houghton
    ICT

18. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Love My HH...Stingray 5

The OUTER Coil setting and the INNER COIL setting, ALONE...are worth the extra cash to get it. Then you got the Bucker, classic Ray Tone...The top pickup alone does P Bass Territory...not the same...but damn good enough. It covers everything..with ease.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've had H, HH, and HS - and my fav is the HS...

- georgestrings

20. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've had an SR5 single H and a USA S.U.B. 5 and they served me well for 2 years. About 6 months ago I picked up an SR5 HH and it is my favorite version of the Stingray. The classic Stingray tone is there along with a variety of other impressive tones. I would like to try the HS, but I haven't been able to track one down locally.