Ebow on EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bass555, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Anybody ever do this? I wanna try!
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Let us know how it sounds!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it would work - Steve Lawson mentioned how it was a bit dodgy on thicker strings - not enough power to get them vibrating - DB strings are so much thicker and longer than any BG strings, I doubt very much that it would be able to get one moving at all!

Anyway - we can use the real thing !! ;)
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ahh.... now but if one were fortunate enough to have a Dean Pace. :) This is actually starting to sound like a nifty idea, and my guitarist has been talking about getting an ebow the past month or so. If he does, I can fiddle around and let ya'll know how at least that sounds. My pace is due to ship out on the 10th.
  5. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Joe, I just got the Dean Pace and theorized that the ebow may be very interesting to use. I will be picking an ebow up in the next few weeks. My gtr player said that if it didn't work he would buy the ebow, so no real risk involved.
  6. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I tried it on my DB for the hell of it. I work on a D but that's it, the tension is too high and I'm not de-tuning my bass. Maybe it would work on a bass with a 41" scale or solo strings, but as Bruce said...........
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The other thing to remember is that DB strings don't necessarily have that much ferromagnetic content.
  8. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Sorry to wake a dead thread, but has anyone tried an ebow on a Dean Pace or other eub with a scale similar to the BG? If so how did it work? I would expect it would work better with 34-35" BG strings. Maybe they need a magnetic rather than peizo pickups?

Experiences anyone?
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Does the ebow vibrate non-metallic strings? I don't play upright let alone EUB so I don't know if people ever use metal strings on them, I thought they did not. I don't know about gauges either but my ebow works on my E string, .100~. The pickup choice shouldn't affect the ebow performance. I have never tried my ebow on my piezo bass but Manring uses one and he has piezos all up in his bass.