1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS MultiComp trim pot adjustment question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgt. Rock, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I used the Search function extensively, and haven't found an answer to my question. I also checked through the excellent reviews and FAQ's that Bongomania has made available, still no dice. So here goes.

I just picked up a pre-"True Bypass" EBS MultiComp from Ebay, the circuit board is printed (c)1999. I don't have the manual, but I checked EBS's website and their PDF version didn't answer my question, which is regarding the adjustment of the internal trim pots. I've read advice here that dealt with adjusting the interior trim pots to tailor high and low threshold limits and would like to explore this for myself. I do not know if the previous owner monkeyed with anything, but the case has definitely been opened as the screw faces are a little worn. I didn't think this was a big deal, as I anticipated being able to visually reference the positions of each pot (more on that later).

I've opened the pedal up and am currently looking at the circuit board. I was expecting to see two trim pots which would make for a fairly simple adjustment. Instead, there are 2 sets of pots, one near the upper left corner of the board, the left one labeled "HIGH" and the right labeled "LOW". I'm assuming these adjust threshold.

The other set of pots are on the bottom left corner of the board. The left is labeled "LO" and the right "HI BIAS". I'm assuming that these two are not the pots I'm looking for.

So, assuming we can iron out which pots adjust threshold, I'm going to run into another problem, and that is this: I don't know how to read the pot position. Each pot has what appears to be a "5" on its face and a flat portion on the outer edge. I assume (there's that word again!) that one of these is used as a reference. If not, what is the correct visual reference point to determine where in the rotation the pot currently sits? I'm not comfortable trusting my ears alone as I am new to compression. Also I have a tendency to break things when I don't do my homework, and I'd rather not cowboy learn on this particular piece of equipment.

Thanks in advance.

2. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    i used to have one, also pre-TBP. i THINK clockwise increases the threshold. i am not 100% certain, can't remember. sorry if i cant be more helpful...

you could just remember or mark the original position, and then use trial & error. your ears should be able to guide you... it's not THAT mild a compressor right?

3. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Like I said, compression is something I've never messed with before, so I don't trust my ears at this point. I just want to make sure I'm starting off right by knowing which pots to adjust and how to visually reference where they are in rotation. I could probably just play and adjust (doubt I could really damage anything) but I'd like to at least know I'm headed in the right direction before I start.

4. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I've got the true bypass version, but the trim pots labeled High and Lo should be the ones you play with. Turning them clockwise, on the TBP version, increases the threshold and counterclockwise decreases the threshold. The best way to learn with a compressor is to really just play and adjust.

5. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Do the pots in your pedal have a fixed range? Mine turn freely 360 degrees, so I don't know where the range begins and ends.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Zoiks. I'm not familiar with the new TBP version, so I'm curious to see what we find out here.

7. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    On my fairly new MultiComp, both screws have an arrow on them, where the screwdriver fits into. It came with a standard factory setting where both arrows were pointing north, when reading the HIGH and LOW inscription the right way (not upside down).

Could you possibly take a gut picture of your pedal? It would make it a bit easier to help you out.

8. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Looks like he's referring to the old one, not the TBP version.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oops, I missed the "pre" part of his description. The trim pots should not rotate freely--in both of the MultiComp's I've used, the trims had normal stops at each end of rotation.