Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Friedland - Bass Grooves

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by redjeep!, Feb 9, 2005.

1. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Hey folks, Has anybody got this new book by Ed Friedland - Bass Grooves.

I like his other books, and am interested in this one but don't want to buy it if it's just a repeat of the columns he's done in Bass Player.

Has anybody got it - does it repeat his BP stuff?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I've got a copy of it which I'm currently working through, but I haven't read his Bass Player articles, so can't really comment on that.

It starts of with exercises to do with a metronome (mentally subdiving the beat, playing on the 1 and 3 etc.).

The rest of it really requires you to have access to a drum machine or drum machine software. Most of the book seems to work around getting you to create different drum patterns, then showing you various ways of grooving with them.

It covers things such as how your note length affects the groove, how 16th note hi-hats affect the groove in comparison to 8th notes, playing in different positions, playing the offbeat, all that sorta stuff.

I'm only a 3rd of the way through though, so can't comment on the later chapters yet...

3. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Thanks for the reply.

It looks like at least some of it is a copy of his BP articles, but perhaps it goes into more depth. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a copy to take a look at rather than buying it blind.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have it, and it's worth the money. Give it a look in the store, it's a great way to get properly acquainted with a variety of useful styles/grooves.

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Are the examples on the CD complete songs or just 15 second clips?

6. I'm only a little bit into the book myself. So far, its just clips. But you really only need to hear the idea from him. Then its your turn to shed with the metronome or drum machine. So far, its helped me with my timing and opened my ears for things to listen for when working with drummers. For me, its been worth the money so far. I would recommend it if you think you need to tighten up the groove aspect of your playing.