1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ed Friedland on tour with the Mavericks

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by brianrost, Sep 7, 2015.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For those who haven't heard or might care (or both) :roflmao: Ed Friedland is now on tour as bassist for the Mavericks. Hooked up with him Saturday at the Rhythm and Roots festival in RI (USA) and was surprised to find out that it's a 100% DB gig! The band sounded killer...a seriously Latin infused country and roots rock blend...super tight and very exciting. It was all everybody was talking about the next day. If you dig this style of music, I recommend catching the tour when it arrives in your area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That's very interesting ... the Mavericks are indeed a great band.

3. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    So, what's the BG doing on stage behind him? Just asking.

4. Thanks for the pics. Ed has been posting on Facebook how happy he is with his Chadwick Folding Bass and Greenboy speaker cabinet. I guess these have made travelling and playing at high volumes a lot easier.

- Steve

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Yep, he is absolutely loving the Fearless from what I've been reading.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's awesome! I freaking love The Mavericks!

:hyper:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ed told me he pulled out a BG for a few songs on the first sound check of the tour but he hasn't bothered since because the DB works for everything anyway. That pic is from an earlier show, no BG in sight Saturday.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  8. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

That's an "interesting" left-hand approach he's got there...
    Just seein' and sayin'.

damonsmith and Tom Lane like this.
  9. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've just seen them finish their set on BBC live television. Not a BG in sight, Brian. Left hand technique very effective!

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    That's not Ed's default left hand position. Nothing wrong with doing that when you only need one note.

MR PC likes this.
  11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits"?
    I'm glad that this approach works for Mr. Friedland.
    I discourage/prohibit(!) this approach in my teaching and playing.
    Thanks.

gerry grable likes this.
  12. I've watched a couple of his equipment review videos, and he has a more conventional left hand approach in those. It might just be a momentary thing in that photo, like he's muting at the end of an open string note or something similar.

13. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Looks pretty cool. Anyone have a sound clip to post?

14. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Agree. That kind of hand position goes with the style of music sometimes. Maybe in the moment he was on the way to using the left hand as a mute during a slap passage.

15. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I was knocked out when I saw them on tour in the UK this week, Ed sounded superb and I got to hang with him and talk gear. He played some mean jazz backstage and really solid grooving lines with the band. Very inspiring stuff and the rig sounded enormous! As the Brian says it's upright all the way, although he is traveling with a cool solid body Kala U bass (or similar brand) as an emergency back up. The Genz head and Greenboy 2x12 he was using did the business and certainly had the volume. The Chadwick folding bass is also really cool and he assembled it in a couple of minutes. String wise he had a blast cult E&A with silver slap D&G...they seem to handle the breaking down of the bass really well.

Geoff%20amp%20ED%20F.

Jayhawk, floydman, GKon and 3 others like this.
  16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    There are some live clips on youtube from the tour, but as is usually the case results vary with people recording stuff from the seats.

17. very cool, Geoff.

18. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    In fairness, have you ever played double bass right in front of a huge speaker cabinet with 900 watts of power going through it? From my own experience, that technique in the photo is an absolutely necessity to combat feedback. I wouldn't have a left hand like that to perform a concerto, but for grooving with a drummer at high volumes and making the music feel good, sometimes you need to break a rule or two. If the bass is in time and in tune, to me, that's what music is about.

petrus61, jallenbass and floydman like this.
  19. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Here's the finished video with a full rundown of the gear Ed was using on the Mavericks UK tour.

20. Thanks for posting the rundown vid GeoffBassist.

I'll have to check out some Mavericks now...

geoffbassist likes this.