Eden 115 XLT vs Peavey 810TVX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strozey, Aug 13, 2009.

1. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Endorsing Artist: John Jameson & Sons
    UPDATE: see last post

hey all, I'm considering making a trade and wanted to get some opinions here if possible, I currently own an Eden 115 XLT w/ adjustable tweeter and was offered a trade for an 810 TVX Peavey fridge cab

I just joined a hard rock/metal type band and am looking to get a heavier rock sound going, is trading out cabinets something I should be considering? Is an Eden XLT 115 for a Peavey 810 TVX a fair trade assuming equal condition? I currently am using a backup head (300w Behringer 3000gtx or someth) with an active Jazz bass. ultimately I'd like get a Sting Ray 5, which I know will punch up the rock tone considerably, but the cost prohibits me currently, so I'm wondering if I switch cabinets and set my jazz with rounds if I'll get more of the sound that I want, I'm not especially attached to the Eden, I know it's good quality and I don't want to trade away a superior piece of equipment for something that I don't need - it's just those damn 810 fridge cabs are sexy

any comments or insight is greatly appreciated

2. For rock an/or metal, a 8x10 cab is the more traditional setup ... I think you aren't doing something wrong with a trade

And yes, fridge cabs are goodlooking :D

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    A single 15 is really not going to keep up with a hard rock band for a minute. The Eden 115xlt is a nice cab, but even if you don't like the Peavey810tvx, you are going to gain a significant amount of volume and will definitely be heard in your new rock band. You would be dumb for not going for this trade! Grab that 810 and make your voice heard!

4. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    thanks for the help guys

5. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    well, I hooked up with this great guy named Bob off of CL and he had tons of great gear - we end up making the swap, I think I got the better value, but he really wanted a 115 cab, and the Peavey was never being used, (he had Ampeg 610, SWR 410, SWR 210 cabs as well!) only thing is the tolex on this thing is real fragile, already tore it on the bottom by the caster just moving it a couple times, thing is pretty cool looking and pumps out a ton of sound

Question:anybody have any recommendations for amp settings if I'm using an Ultrabass 3000t for this rig? I've been using a Jazz w/ flatwounds playing mostly jazz/hip hop and reggae before joining this hard rock outfit so I'm used to just rolling off the highs, I have been experimenting with using a pick in combo with the flatwounds, as well as various amp settings but, maybe someone could give me some standard rock settings for the amp - basically i need a Stingray bass and a decent amp and this thing would sound pretty sick, but my budget isn't cooperating

Attached Files:

6. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    anyone?

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Honestly, there is no such thing as a "rock tone setting" on an amp. With the multitude of different acoustic situations we bass players face along with gear and playing style, the best advice I can give you is to set the controls (according the manual) flat and turn off extra features and buttons and keep your bass guitar at a flat setting (tone knob all the way up if you have that). Make sure the bass is on full output, set the gain correctly, and turn up the master volume to a decent setting. Start playing and slowly mess with each knob and see what works tone wise and what does not. The louder you have the amp set, the less you have to turn a knob to hear the sonic difference. Good luck!

8. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    I like Eden equipment but the 8-10 speaker cab will give you much more due to the amount of air (sound) pushed. It should be very punchy much more so than a 1-15 cab. That Peavy cab should rock especially with a Stingray! My old Ampeg SVT 810 cabinet used to kick - sometimes wish I still had it but ... hmmmm ...I also had a van then and was 20 years younger too.

Best :)

Dave

9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

My 15 did.

10. Sounds like an equal trade..

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021