1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Speaker Replacement HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timalan, Aug 3, 2007.

1. timalan

timalan

Jan 29, 2007
    Hey Guys,
    Well my setup is using a Warmoth custom Fretless J, Through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI (to the board and amp), to an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro into an 8-ohm Eden D210xst.
    At the last rehearsal my speakers broke up badly any time I dug in or increased my volume. I'm leaving my rig on stage until the performance so I have not been able to check it out further, but I'm worried I may have a dying speaker. I think I might replace it myself with a properly rated speaker which would not be an Eden, most likely an Eminence. I Would like tips, advice, experiences, comments, conversation or ANY response from my bass brethren,

P.s. Any money saving help would be great b/c i'm about to head to college

2. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    This is going under the assumption that the speaker is deterioating or dying and not an issue somewhere else.

Eden doesn't publish their detailed speaker specs for whatever reason. So it makes it more difficult to match up their specs to other products. Also, from what I've read on the Eden forums those who used other brands of speakers in Eden cabinets have been disappointed. I'm sure others have swapped it out and been happy I just don't recall reading about it.

If you are interested in saving money and keeping the Eden speaker you could have it/them reconed or reedged at a place like Orange County Speakers. Or you can roll the dice and see/hear if the Eminence is a good match for the cabinet.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

3. I'm using 4 Eminence Legend BP102 in a Eden XLT cab.I love the sound.

4. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Whoh...
    The problem here is distortion right?
    The culprit is right in your header.

The Sansamp.

Before you start blaming Eden or your speakers try plugging the guitar right into the Ampeg. It is very easy to overload the front end of a guitar or bass amp.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, I found the SVT3 pro to be quite underpowered and may easily blow your speakers into an 8 ohm load, band setting.....210!!!!!!!
    Need more speakers.........more power, or louder amp!But definately more speakers

6. timalan

timalan

Jan 29, 2007
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES

Well, let me say that the reason I'm only using my 210 is b/c it's a very low stage volume (even a Roland V-drum kit is used) and I use it only as a monitor while all house volume is from the PA. I'm very mindful not to clip the amp and also not to boost greatly with the Sans. I am using it on a very clean blending setting for this gig. Also, ususally when I am playing larger volume gigs, I run in parallel an Ampeg 410 rated 600 watts at 8ohms with the tweeter removed. Yes the SVT-3 can barely handle it and I have to run it at nearly three-quarter master volume. I am careful to keep my preamp gain low so I won't peak or clip the pre section, but i understand that by running the power amp this hot can give dirty power to my cabs. I'm thinking I will soon sell the SVT3 for a 2000 watt power amp, run the Sansamp as my dedicated preamp, and power two D210xst's.

Thank You Cyborg for your help. GREAT Advice.

Once i pop off my grill, (I actually have a CustomSeries model which has a cloth grill so I Can't take a good look at my speakers through the grill), what should i look for and what do different signs of damage look like. More advice would be incredible.

Thanks

"Just working out the wedges" -Bradley Hathaway