Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edgar Meyer Compositions

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi everyone,
    Do any of you know if any of Edgar Meyer's works are for sale to the public? I know his concertos are for rental but what about his canon and other works he and bela played for their Music for Two album.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. As far as I'm aware, most of his music is not available for sale. The solo parts for his concertos are also unavailable; it's the orchestra parts you can rent.

When someone asked him about this in a class, he said he doesn't like to sell his music because "no one else can play it right." I can respect that.

3. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Wow I am really suprised that Edgar would say that. Damn!But yes I respect that he has reasons that he doesn't want his stuff being sold. He is defantly my favorite player and I admire hime so much. Hopefully he'll come around. I think his canon sounds so awesome.

Aww well,
    Rob

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I started transcribing "canon" a while back. I got about a minute ande a half into it. Its not too bad. 15/8 get a little weird because there is some over the bar line stuff. The best part is if you can't understand Edgar, just wait 15 beats and Bela plays it. Its a very cool piece.

Also, making it easier to transcribe, he pretty much stays within a pentatonic or hexatonic mode the whole time. So, you can kinda "guess" notes with a lot of accuracy. He stays in that mode almost exclusively.

And, at least in my case, I've listened to it so much I can almost sing it from memory. It's not too much of a bear.

5. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks
    Did you get those 16th note runss kind of at the end of the canon?

6. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I only made it about a minute and a half through, then I moved on to other stuff. It might become a summer project though.

7. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Sounds cool. Hope you learn the whole piece.

8. AdaGio³

AdaGio³

Feb 9, 2006
    I wish he would sell "Wolly Mammoth" that song is so cool.

9. I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere right now with a digital slower-downer device who's transcribing every note Edgar has played. Won't be too long until the "E.M. Real Book."

10. It'd be on the market already if there was. The genius who tries to do that will probably end up in a law suit.

11. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    it's really interesting to transcribe the stuff you are interested in, not noly to keep your ears working, but to see HOW edgar composes. I transcribed his '3rd mov. from Amalgamations for Solo bass' from 'uncommon ritual', and it was alot of fun. I reckon he was using solo strings except with a regular orchestral tuned bottom E. (E B E A). it was intersting to see how alot of stuff (but not all) worked really quite easily with the left hand, but getting that 'edgar' bowstroke took some time! it's a really cool piece..

12. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Yes a lot of Edgar's pieces are so awesome and amazing and that's just from the listeners stand point. LOLOL about the lawsuit and EM real book. But some of the pieces he composes are just pure genius ie- the Amalgamations for Solo bass from uncommon ritual. But oh man, that amalgamations for solo bass sounds soooo hard. But I'm sure it is so much fun to play. You could really impress the heck out of people with that piece.
    Thanks everyone