1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Edgar Meyer with.........Taylor Swift

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Jake, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Did any of you guys see Edgar Meyer on the Country Music Awards with Taylor Swift? I'm a little embarrassed to have been watching the CMAs but I kinda freak out a little bit when I saw it.

2. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    ...and Sam Bush on mandolin, Alison Krauss on fiddle and Vince Gill on guitar. All three were her back up singers too. :confused:

Now that's a band! :)

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow - gotta go find the video.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Beautiful.

Who'd go to that concert?

[raising hand]

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Thanks guys - that was beautiful!

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Best teenage breakup song band ever.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hahaha

8. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I wonder if other musicians are gonna give Edgar Meyer a hard time about this, but then again there's probably only like four musicians on the planet qualified to give him a hard time.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Give him a hard time about what?

Kiddie star or not, that was an awesome performance by
    Everyone on the stage. Grand slam. Gorgeous.

When Taylor puts the kiddie crap aside, she Does have some song writing and performing chops.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Plus, she's getting better and better to look at by the minute.

;)

She's a few cheeseburgers away from homina.

11. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    I know nothing about Taylor Swift or her music. I don’t listen to much country/pop radio…but…she was given the Pinnacle award last evening at age 23. She is only the second person after Garth Brooks to win this award…which is code for…she made the record label looooaaads (insert the voice of Ron White here) of money.

BUT, they said she wrote every song she ever recorded and released. That’s impressive. And when you can get Alison Krauss, who has more Grammy’s then all of them on stage, as a back up singer…well…I’m just saying. :D

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm with you.

I think she has major miles in her. After she sheds all the kiddie crap, she's going to be an adult country artist for a long, long haul. And, unlike most quote unquote artists today, she actually has the chops to deserve it.

Wrecking Ball, my a**.

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    "Wrote"

14. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've pretty much enjoyed playing on whatever Taylor Swift song I've had to learn. Can't say that about a lot of other contemporary artists

15. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thanks for posting the video. I hadn't seen it/heard about it.

I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan--and it sounds there like she's trying to sound like Aimee Mann--but that is a mess of chops she is surrounding herself with.

And I hadn't seen Alison Krauss with her hair quite that long before--it looks good.

It's pretty exciting whenever you can bring that kind of talent together into one place. And Edgar Meyer might be the most accomplished bassist in diverse genres alive today.

16. Money probably has more to do with getting Alison Krauss and company to back her up. That is a really beautiful performance though, I think this is the first Taylor Swift song I've ever heard.

17. Not a Taylor Swift fan, but agree she might have something to offer down the line. I hope she knows how lucky she was to have those folks playing with her.

Wish the CMAs would have featured this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVrCZ5sNwE

Now that is a kick-ass song.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks for sharing that. Beautiful. Going to look up that project ...

19. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That is a terrific song from 'The Goat Rodeo Sessions'.

I wonder why the YouTube poster left Aiofe O'Donovan's name off the performer's list? Her blend with Chris is really great! ;)